Classic Rock Bottom

During the 90's, if you went to a second hand store there were two things you could always count on finding in a CD bin. One was the 10.000 Maniacs CD and the second usual suspect was Spinal Tap's Break Like The Wind. It's like every store had to have one. That's how awesome it is. Another strange thing I noticed was that they were all in pristine condition. Were these previous owners even listening to the CD or were they just blindly trading them in? I may not have the correct answer to that question, but they been missing out on some great fun.

Once on one of my trips to one of such store I noticed a guy across the aisle getting really excited about finding this CD among the lame selection. He yelled out to his wife/girlfriend: "Hey look honey, they have Spinal Tap!" Her response was much less enthusiastic and quite short: "Put it back!" The poor fellow tried to talk some sense into his better half: "But honey... This is Spinal Tap." However, if looks could kill, he would be lying on the floor, because she said nothing, but her eyes were clear on her stance. It was very amusing to watch. In fact I couldn't turn away, no matter how intrusive that was. The guy probably noticed being watched, looked at me, gave me a smile, I returned it with a nod and he stashed the CD in between the stack of all the other CD's he already held in his hand. I know this might suggest we Metalhead have no balls, but no one can accuse us for lack of a sense of humor. And there is the moral of the story.

I saw the mockumentary, but never bought the first album. I have and I listened to Break Like The Wind many times. It doesn't really fit the criteria for the LTTP, but that's why you'll get the double dip. Their 3rd CD Back From The Dead have been on my later pile since I bought it. The nice thing about it is, that it collects their first album and more, so I don't have to buy the soundtrack. It's amazing how many well known artists lend help to their projects. If you want to know just who they are, follow the Wind cover.

SPINAL TAP - Break Like The Wind

CD ℗ 1992

COMEDY ROCK

1. Bitch School
2. The Majesty Of Rock
3. Diva Fever
4. Just Begin Again
5. Cash On Delivery
6. The Sun Never Sweats
7. Rainy Day Sun
8. Break Like The Wind
9. Stinkin' Up The Great Outdoors
10. Springtime
11. Clam Caravan
12. Christmas With The Devil
13. Now Leaving (Hidden Track)
14. All The Way Home

SPINAL TAP - Back From The Dead

Digipak CD + DVD ℗ 2009

COMEDY ROCK

1. Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight
2. Back From The Dead
3. (Funky) Sex Farm
4. Rock & Roll Creation
5. Jazz Oddyssey I
6. Gimme Some Money
7. Rock 'N' Roll Nightmare
8. Heavy Duty
9. America
10. Jazz Oddyssey II
11. (Listen To The) Flower People (Reggae Stylee)
12. Hell Hole
13. Big Bottom
14. Celtic Blues
15. Jazz Oddyssey III
16. Warmer Than Hell
17. Stonehenge
18. Short And Sweet
19. Cups And Cakes

Finally getting around to listen to, (for the first time) some music I've been putting aside (for years). Including, things from the past I recently discovered, projects I previously had, but replaced with a newly remastered version, or those simple cases, were my last years order didn't arrive on time.

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You know, I have been that guy who plows through those bins enthusiastically, one big difference though.  My wife doesn't tell me no, or put it back.  She knows better, just sayin'...  But in this case she couldn't have even rolled her eyes because I put it back on my own.  It seems the same bins contained the same music worldwide!  How is that?

As far as the mockumentary goes, I love it!  Its a classic, own some expanded edition on DVD.  Maybe I should watch it again soon, but then again maybe not.  You see, the last time I went to look for it in the boiler room, I couldn't find my way out...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos