Classic Rock Bottom

Geoff Tate
Kings & Thieves
InsideOut Music - 2012
http://www.geofftate.com

With all the brouhaha going on about the dismissal of Geoff Tate from Queensryche after 30 years and the subsequent legal battles, I have to admit that I've been soured a bit with the actions of EVERYONE involved.

When Geoff Tate announced he would be releasing his second solo album, my immediate reaction was "Good Gawd! I hope it isn't a complete clusterfuck like his first solo release."

Sometimes when I listen to a disc for review, I might listen once and have a solid idea about what's going on. Sometimes it takes more than one listen. In the case of Kings & Thieves, it is a good thing that I listened more than once.

After the first listen, this album was going to be consigned to the fiery pits of hell for being atrocious. But upon listening twice more, I found that there was actually some good stuff here. In announcing the upcoming release, Tate said that it would be a real rock album. He wasn't kidding. There is nothing here that resembles metal, but that doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility of good songs.

The CD opens with the song "She Slipped Away", a nice little uptempo number that gets the album rolling. "Take A Bullet" was decent, if a bit repetitive with the chorus.

The uptempo songs "In The Dirt" and "Say U Love It" left me shaking my head and wondering what happened to Tate's lyric writing ability. A line from "In The Dirt" that reads "Rides me hard like an exercise machine" seems beneath him. And while I'm not opposed to S&M imagery in general terms, his idiotic sounding lyrics in "Say U Love It" felt predatorily creepy. I felt the need to take a shower (and not in a good way). What happened to the man who wrote "The Lady Wore Black" and this verse:

"In the distance I saw a woman
Dressed in black with eyes of grey
She wore her pain like a shackled spirit
Eternal life was her debt to pay"

The midtempo track "The Way I Roll" came off lyrically like he was responding to both his former Queensrych bandmates and/or his doubters. "Tomorrow" simply dragged on too long, while "Waiting" closed the album with a very slow pace and far too much repetition.

Tracks 7 - 10 is where Tate really picks up the pace a bit, saving the album from complete disaster.

"Dark Money" (lyric video below) rants about the political system and the screwjob it does to the people. Generally I wouldn't be interested in the topic but after a few listens I got into it both musically and lyrically.

"These Glory Days" was a good track, very uptempo. "Change" started out slow paced but well done. The soaring orchestral like backing music gave the song more "emotional" heft. The song picks up the tempo about 2 1/2 minutes in with the guitar solo. I liked the chorus of "I don't want to change the world, I just wanna change me". The brief appearance of piano in the song was a nice touch.

The best song on the disc was "Evil". It's the one that comes off as the most hard rock or metal sounding. It was just a well crafted romp.

All in all, surprising as it may seem to those who have been disappointed one time after another with the most recent Queensryche releases, Kings & Thieves turned out to be a solidly done CD that had 6 out of 11 tracks that made the album well worth checking out.

GRADE: B MINUS

Views: 245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow!  You're thoughts are practically the exact same as mine.  It took me a second listen to appreciate at least some of the album.  This album will be in NMC following Niels next entry.

Great, y'all have made me very nervous to listen to this for the first time...

Man up little buckaroo.

Scary that we are thinking alike...

I meant to add that I don't care for the production...or Tate sounds like he has a cold.  I'm not sure which.

Hmm...after listening to "Dark Money" I am now intrigued. Considering that I really, really like the last Queensryche album this may be a purchase, as long as Rjhog doesn't screw it up and only post sucky songs (like he usually does).

It does remind me of the last Queensryche album.  Almost all the songs are the same pace.  Tate forgot how to sing.  He mostly is somewhere between flat out talking and singing.  You probably will like it.  And I'll pick the absolute worst songs to post, that will ensure that you like it.

That's kinda what I figured.

Do me a favor, post "Evil". It was the best song on the CD for me. Then you can post the bad songs for Jon after that.

Don't worry TR.  I was just humoring Jon.  I'll post what were the best for me and that's one of 'em.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos