Classic Rock Bottom

Reverence
When Darkness Calls
Razar Ice Records - 2012
http://www.reverencemetal.com

I found out about this new band and their debut album via a news posting on the Blabbermouth.net website. The thing that caught my eye was the band's drummer was none other than ex-Savatage drummer Steve "Dr. Killdrums" Wacholz.

I ended up buying the CD through the band's website and looked forward to checking out what they had to offer.

Unfortunately I was left with an overall sense of disappointment after the CD ended. There is some good material on the album but I wasn't overly enthused about a lot of it.

The album was chock full of rocking tracks but I found that singer Todd Michael Hall's vocals were a bit too high pitched for my tastes in some of the songs.

The good was good and the lackluster stuff was just so flat and uninteresting I don't know that there will be many repeat plays for this disc.

I liked the intro for "Too Late" a lot and the song was good overall. The song "After The Leaves Have Fallen" is one of the slower tempo songs and has an interesting set of lyrics.

The best track on the album is undoubtedly "Bleed For Me". It's very fast paced with a chorus made stronger by the big backing vocals employed on it.

You can check out the video for two of the better songs below.

I was hoping to really love this CD because of the tie to my favorite band Savatage, but this is average AT BEST. I think the band could've done so much better. And the vocals need to be a bit lower in the stratosphere.

GRADE: C MINUS

Views: 295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's  a disappointment to hear that the album's not that good, because I really like the two songs you posted. The drums & guitar rock & I like the vocals. I don't have a problem with the high pitch. I'll take that over Cookie Monster any day. 

I would've preferred something in between high pitched  and cookie monster. And again, this is MY opinion about the CD. You might have a drastically different take on the album.

Check it out and let us all know what you think.

Their logo reminds me of the band Reverend. It's too bad most of the Reverend stuff didn't have the lyrics. I still own "World Won't Miss You", but I traded the rest long ago.

I like this Reverence band. I'm going to listen to the full album on Spotify and decide if I want it or not.

I liked both of these songs as well, so I'd like to hear more of it. Possible purchase for me.

The lead singer is strangely familiar to me...both his face, and his voice. Did you guys ever see the "Rock Star" movie? Towards the end of the movie, the lead singer character played by Mark Wahlberg brings some guy out of the audience at a concert, and lets him do a song with him. Then Wahlberg decides he's had enough, and gives the rest of the show to the dude he pulled out of the audience. And then, Wahlberg's character walks off into the night...

Anyway, this singer of this band looks, and sounds like, the dude Wahlberg pulled out of the audience in the movie. I could be wrong, but the similarity is close, to me.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos