Classic Rock Bottom

JESSIE GALANTE - The Show Must Go On +1

CD ℗ 2017

CLASSIC ROCK

Jessie Galante's latest release is a testament of perseverance. The material was recorded over the span of several years and continents, with help from an extensive list of amazing musicians. Yet you would be hard-pressed to find even the smallest crevice in a seamlessly smooth production.

The songs on the album can be easily assembled into three groups: Ballads, Covers and Rockers. Each serving a particular purpose. There was also a great deal of attention given to sequencing these tracks. They alternate from one group to another, in order to ensure an exciting and versatile listening experience, throughout the CD.

The slower tunes provide breadth of space for Jessie to deliver her powerful voice, with an extra dose of soul like in Mama (I Get A Little Crazy). The creative arrangement of Beautiful Man takes the Blues approach of the music and gives it a new dress. One that's not flashy or extravagant, but subtly different from the norms and sends it away, with a beautiful line to match:

"I'm no savior
Just a flame inside your fire.
I can't wash away your scars,
But I can show you mine"

These days, it's hard to come by a power ballad that can stir up the same emotions we felt in it's heyday, but Jessie can make it look like the feeling was never lost, in a song simply titled Dreamer. Remains Of The Day leaves another haunting impact on the listener, with it's lyrics:

"In a house, oh so sad,
A world of royal promise gone bad,
Empty and lost from a blind love past,
A tower of virtue is all that lasts."

It must be a very special reason for an artist to name the project after a cover song and in this case, it is. It was done on her late husband's request. Larry Swist, who was diagnosed with cancer, wanted to stimulate his wife's will to continue the work after his death, which sadly followed in 2015. The unveiling of the CD was postponed, but true to the spirit of it's title, the album got a worldwide release through Tanzan Music in 2017. Due to the context inherent in the timeless classic, The Show Must Go On sent shivers running up my spine during it's bombastic finale carried with ease by Jessie's pronounced singing, reaching all the high notes rarely heard since Mercury's passing. The electrified cover of Elton John / Bernie Taupin's Border Song is another prime example of how an old song can benefit through a spirituous bluesy execution.

More Like Love Divine sits right in the center of things, not to divider, but to bridge all the different styles this CD has to offer, in a passionate ballad, performed in collaboration with Alessandro Del Vecchio.

Rocking out of the gates with Diamond In The Sky, it's remarkable to hear how much confidence Jessie commands in these faster tracks. The biggest surprise to me is Joop Wolters' presence and amazing guitar performance. I know him as a shredder, but his Blues side is just as impressive in Drown (and couple of other instances), as are his metal theatrics. Jessie co-wrote all the original titles on this project, including Mamma Said, which brings out the heaviest chops to get your blood pumping.

The regular edition of the CD closes with a Moody Blues cover Nights In White Satin, aided by Billy Sheehan on bass and few members of Jessie's immensely talented family. This song was noticeably missing a woman's touch. However, I would warmly recommend the Japanese Edition of the CD, for the fast paced studio recording Sting Like A Bee Bonus Track, which does a stunning job of raising the anticipation for the future release.

Rating: 8 spectacular attractions in a 10 act amazing show

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not at all familiar with this lady.  Voice sounds good enough.  Pretty heavy track you have posted.  Yep, she definitely has a set of pipes.  Not a bad listen at all, though not something that particularly interests me at this time.  Enjoyed reading your review.

Thanks for reading and your feedback RJhog.

Mamma Said is the heaviest track on the CD. What did you think of the other songs?

Thank you Jessie Galante for noticing my humble review, posting the link to your Facebook page, your kind words and above all for the great music you gave us.

Lady, YOU ROCK!

Thats gotta be cool when that happens!!  Congrats

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos