Classic Rock Bottom

Day 3
Dear Diary.

I'm digging this exile thing, even though it's not as adventurous as the books and movies wants you to believe. Perhaps, because I don't have a Wilson and a Friday around for company. Well, to all fairness, thank God, I don't have a Wilson (for much good will he do), but I could use a help from someone like Friday. I mean, those CD's won't change itself. Duh. Note to myself: Next time you're in exile, bring at least a 60 tray CD charger and remember this; remote Island, remote control. OK? Alright, I further find it strange that I'm stranded on an Island and still thinking about Friday. Therefore, I'll play a Friday song.

Oh, and I got a message in a bottle from Scott. He was devastated by his close but no cigar guess of yesterday's selection, so I decided to cheer him up and send him the biggest jar I could find, filled with million bucks. With all these nasty hurricanes going around, I hope he'll receive my gift in a timely manner.

Jon made a half guess for this week. He was wrong, as well. Maybe he'll take it with more dignity and courage to guess again, because I'm all out of mula. If not, Scott, please split the jar's content with Jon... whenever you find it.

As for today's selection, I knew the Instrumental clue would take some serious experts to figure it out, but the Metal clue was tailor made for Jon and the Guitarist clue was right up Scott's alley. I don't think I could have made it any easier, short of spelling them out. Oh well. Perhaps another time. And here they are.

click on the cover to hear samples
1. GIRLSCHOOL - C'mon Let's Go
2. GIRLSCHOOL - Hit And Run
3. GIRLSCHOOL - Yeah Right
4. GIRLSCHOOL - Future Flash
from "Hit And Run" CD ℗ 1981/1997

The all female NWOBHM band was welcomed to the scene with skepticism. Mostly their ability to play was put to question. Of course, they proved every critic wrong. I think the popularity came partly from the girls Motorhead association, with whom they recorded and released few songs together, in a coalition known as Headgirl. The NWOBHM was fast and furious, but no one could accuse these girls of limping behind. In fact, I was totally blown away with the quality of their Hit And Run album. The material stands the test of time, even by today's standards.

GARY MOORE - Wild Frontier
CD ℗ 1987/2002

With clean, powerful tone and skills to bring out the deepest emotions from his guitar, I'd be hard pressed to name a single song Gary Moore was involved in and I didn't like it. He was also the unsung king of intros. Perhaps for that reason, I'm choosing Wild Frontier. The album sports few of them. Vinyl was the only available option to me at its release date. However, I was very much aware of the CD sold in Japan, which also had the title track and Over The Hills... in a 12' version respectively, as bonus tracks. It was eating me alive, that I couldn't afford nor knew how to acquire it. Luckily, few years later the remastered version became available, which added The Loner (Extended Mix) plus Friday On My Mind as another 12" version to further enhance the bonus material. Not a bad track on this one.

5. MARK WOOD - Monkey Bats
from "Voodoo Violince" CD ℗ 1991

The early 90's were my favorite time in music. Not in general though, because that honor will go to the 80's, but in a niche way, for the explosion of Guitar Instrumentals. This was still the time when only the best would dare to go there and the results were more often than not, true masterpieces. Few years down the road, the boom of self releases will water down the movement, with individuals who mustered a confidence to compete with the legends, after merely two riffs and three chords in their suitcases. In '91 everything was still rosy and perhaps the biggest surprise was Mark Wood's first CD. Out of nowhere he came armed with bunch of violins that looked and sounded like guitars. It left me flummoxed, but only till I heard the music. It sounded fresh and quite guitar resembling, even though there weren't any guitars on the CD. Man, was that a right time to enjoy the music of silenced vocal cords, or what?

And let's try this again.
INDEX (To keep track of things. Also, the clues for the next weeks selection are here. Do you know; What's Coming To You?)

ROCK
500 pt
300 pt - 1979 - STYX - Cornerstone
800 pt
200 pt
600 pt
1000pt
100 pt
400 pt (Same Ol' Same Ol'... And that's the way I like it)

HARD ROCK
300 pt
100 pt - 1975 - BIJELO DUGME - Sta Bi Dao Da Si Na Mom Mjestu
500 pt
800 pt
600 pt
200 pt (Don't just stand there with your big tongue. Do something with it!)
1000pt
400 pt

AOR
200 pt
600 pt
300 pt
800 pt
100 pt - 1987 - ANDY TAYLOR - Thunder
500 pt
1000pt
400 pt

MELODIC ROCK
400 pt
100 pt
800 pt
200 pt
300 pt
1000pt
500 pt - 1992 - DAMN YANKEES - Don't Tread
600 pt

METAL
300 pt
400 pt
800 pt
200 pt - 1981 - GIRLSCHOOL - Hit & Run
500 pt
600 pt (Yugoslavian clue - Three proud riders... from hell)
100 pt
1000pt

SINGERS GONE SOLO
300 pt
1000pt
800 pt - 1983 - DIO - Holy Diver
100 pt - 1985 - REVESZ SANDOR - Revesz Sandor 
600 pt
500 pt
400 pt
200 pt

GUITARISTS GONE SOLO
100 pt
300 pt
400 pt - 1987 - GARY MOORE - Wild Frontier
800 pt
200 pt
600 pt
1000pt
500 pt

+BONUS
1000pt
500 pt
600 pt - 1991 - MARK WOOD - Voodoo Violince
800 pt

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Been wondering where everyone's been, I mean with the hurricanes and stuff I understood, but this exile thing, hmmm....

You know whats missing here?  A Nu-Metal section, couldn't put my finger on it until now.  I'm going gut instinct with my guesses this week..

• Rock:  Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
  • Hard Rock: KISS - Lick It Up
  • Metal:  No clue, everything I know about Yugo-Rock I learned from one of your posts, and Ive already forgotten that.

Hey at least I'm guessin'!!

Whoa that player glows in the dark!

Girslschool - boy do I have some stories!  But that's best left to another "forum" ... I'm a big fan of NWOBHM especially the Judas Priest NWOBHM releases.  Jon understands this as well.  Really this is a fun listen, but for me a rock/metal band fronted by a female is usually more miss than hit.  The music seems OK the vocals eh... not so much.  Future Flash is the most interesting track here...

Gary Moore - no very little about him as a solo artist.

Mark Wood - no one on here would've ever guessed this, not even Jon!  Instrumentals have be special and unique to really catch my ear, this one was neither, sorry...

I recently went thru the Bronze boxset of Girlschool albums which folks must get. Their first four albums, nicely remastered with bonus tracks, etc. Good price if you look around. THe first album I got was "Play Dirty" when I was in England and seems that a lot of folks hate it. I thought it was kinda cool and still do. It doesn't compare to HaR, but it's a fun listen. 

First GM album I bought was "Victims Of The Future" while also in England, but I did have something with  "Military Man" on it back then as well, think it was a vinyl EP. Took years for me to find the songs on there on CD. 

There was some rock violinist in Creem or Hit Parader in an add for an upcoming album, all I remember was a green violin. Don't think it was Mark Wood though. Eh, maybe it was. The guy in the ad also had long hair. 

Fine, here's my guesses:

Kool & The Gand

Talking Heads

Raven (even though they're not Yugoslavian, but they haven't been mentioned on this site in awhile.)  

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos