Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 102 JOHN WAITE - NO BRAKES (1984) (REQUESTED BY TAGERYCHE)

Words Of Wisdom

"There's no place for me in the sun that doesn't cast a shadow"

-John Waite

Artist: John Waite

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: England

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: No Brakes

Released: June 15, 1984

Producer: John Waite/David Thoener/Gary Gersh

Singles: Missing You (#1 U.S.)/Tears (#37 U.S.)/Dark Side Of The Sun/Restless Heart

Song Of The Week: Tears

Cover Me: Restless Heart (Could be another big country hit for Kenny Chesney)

RIAA Certification: Gold

Album Cover: 4/10

This week we have a request.  I wanna thank TageRyche for the request.  It's John Waite's 1984 album No Brakes.  The album was big, thanks to a number one single.  I'm sure you all remember it, because it is still played quite often on the radio.  Of course, I'm talking about none other than the song Missing You.  That single helped propel the album to gold status.  

I have to say that I did not own this album prior to TageRyche's request.  But I've always liked John Waite, at least what I've heard of his catalog, so I picked it up from Amazon.  I have to say that although none of the other material on the album even sniffed the Top 40 (Tears did make it to #37, but I don't ever remember hearing it), this is a terrific album.  As you can see from my rankings for each song below, 7 of the 9 tracks are outstanding in my book.  Even the two tracks with 2 stars aren't bad at all.  The guitar playing really fits well.  There's no showing off, but the tone matches Waite's vocals and it all just fits together nicely.

If you don't have time to listen to it all, I strongly recommend that you at least listen to tracks 3 through 7.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  If you don't have it, look for it in the Amazon Marketplace.  It's only a few bucks.  Again, thanks go to TageRyche.  I would still not own it if not for his request.  This has been in strong rotation in the Hog-Mobile lately.

Next Week: A classic American Band.  And please feel free to make requests.  You can send them to me via the private message button.  I can't promise I'll own what you request, or even that I'll rush out and buy it, but you never know.

1. Saturday Night ***

2. Missing You **

3. Dark Side Of The Sun ***

4. Restless Heart ***

5. Tears ***

6. Euroshima ***

7. Dreamtime/Shake It Up ***

8. For Your Love ***

9. Love Collision **

Views: 554

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When "Missing You" came out I loved the song. Then as it got more and more popular, it got overplayed to the point where I actually don't listen to the song when I play this album. (Still own the cassette version myself).

I'm really glad you enjoyed the album Rjhog.

I am really shocked that I enjoyed this. Harder than I thought it would be and even didn't mind Missing You taken in the whole album context thingy. I have a couple JW albums, "Mark Of Smile" and my fav, "Rover's Return". I think that that one song (mentioned above) has always led me to believe that all of his albums would be wimp rock, but that just ain't true. 

Good pick Rjhog!

But still, no Bad English for me!

I loved the first Bad English album.

My sincerest apologies, credit should go to you for picking this album.

Not looking for credit. I just made a suggestion that was accepted by RJhog.

I know, just giving credit where credit was due.

I do recall, hearing a couple of other songs off of this album, besides 'Missing You".  "Tears" & "Restless Heart" sounded familiar.  Yeah, this good! Good voice + good guitar = good listen! Enjoyed the revisit!

I too was surprised by how good this is...  I'd love ot put this on my purchase list, but it does sound like it coudl use a remastering treatment...

Nobody but RJ read this next part!!!

Jon sent me a private message wanting me to ask to if you'd post Bad English ....

Dammit. I so want to read that last part but....must....not  

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos