Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 104 CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - COSMO'S FACTORY (1970)

Artist: Creedence Clearwater Revival

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: Cosmo's Factory

Released: July 1970

Producer: John Fogerty

Singles: Travelin' Band(#2)/Who'll Stop The Rain(#2)/Up Around The Bend(#2)/Run Through The Jungle(#4)/Lookin' Out My Back Door(#2)

Song Of The Week: Run Through The Jungle

Cover Me: N/A

RIAA Certification: 4 X Platinum

Album Cover: 8/10 (Hilarious, especially the dude on the bike)

This week's Album Of The Week is Cosmo's Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival.  It comes from way back in 1970.  It was CCR's 5th studio album and it scored the number 1 position on the U.S. chart.  It has since been certified 4 X Platinum.  It also features several well known CCR songs including Travelin' Band, Who'll Stop The Rain, Up Around The Bend, Run Through The Jungle and Lookin' Out My Back Door.

This is the first proper studio album from CCR that I've ever owned.  I full plan on eventually adding the others to my collection.  The singles are all outstanding.  As far as hidden gems go, the only one for me would be Ramble Tamble.  I love the change in tempo halfway through the song and the fact that they pick it back up later.  That's really cool.  Fogerty's guitar sounds great.  I don't think it's perfect.  I'm not a fan of Ooby Dooby or My Baby Left me at all.  But it's really a very decent album to listen to.   Oh, I almost forgot to mention that there is another hidden gem on the album.  It's Doug Clifford's drumming.  I love it. It's simple, but I love his snare work.  It's hard to imagine Fogerty didn't think the other guys deserved to play with him at the HOF induction.  

One special note, I believe Run Through The Jungle is the song that caused Fogerty to get sued for copy right infringement.  Supposedly the record company that owned his prior material said he copied one of the songs for Run Through The Jungle.  I think this made him the only person to be sued for copyright infringement of material that he actually wrote.  The details may be a little different, but that's the gist of the story.

Next Week:  It's request time.

1. Ramble Tamble ***

2. Before You Accuse Me *

3. Travelin' Band ***

4. Ooby Dooby

5. Lookin' Out My Back Door ***

6. Run Through The Jungle ***

7. Up Around The Bend ***

8. My Baby Left Me

9. Who'll Stop The Rain ***

10. I Heard It Through The Grapevine ***

11. Long As I Can See The Light *

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a fantastic album, everyone should have this in their collection.

Nice!  Im pretty much a Greatest Hits fan of CCR, the deeper cuts are new to me.  Loved alot of stuff on here, I could live without Ooby Dooby, but cant say anything else was anything but really cool to hear!

Nice choice! and kind of a curve ball from RJ as I didnt expect him to reach this far back for an AOTW, kind of always thought your muscial hourney started around the Rock and Roll Over era.. 

I dont know what a musical hourney is...  Pretty sure I meant Journey... 

Ahh...me so...nevermind.

Excellent Choice! I've never considered myself a huge CCR fan, but this is great! I've even gained a greater appreciation, on this analytical listen. I agree, the only song that really twisted my ear was Ooby Dooby! Else, the album was solid from beginning to end!

Great choice RJHog! This has been in my vinyl collection since I was like 11 years old.

At this young age, CCR was my #2 band, behind The Beatles. It would not, however, be too much longer before I heard my first EEEEEEEVVVVVVIIIIIIILLLLLLLLL power chord from Black Sabbath and Tony Iommi!! And was changed forever....

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos