Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 105 SAGA - WORLDS APART (1981) (REQUESTED BY MIKE MILLS)

Artist: Saga

Genre: Progressive Rock/Power Pop/New Wave

Country Of Origin: Canada

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Worlds Apart

Released: October 1981

Producer: Rupert Hine

Singles: On The Loose (#26)/Wind Him Up/Amnesia

Song Of The Week: Wind Him Up

Cover Me: N/A

RIAA Certification: Iron

Album Cover: 9/10

This week I have Worlds Apart, Saga's 4th studio album, which was released in 1981, as Album Of The Week.  This is by request from Mike Mills.  The album charted at number 29, while the single On The Loose posted a #26 placing on the Billboard Hot 100, although it charted as high as #3 on the U.S. Mainstream Rock chart.

The only songs I know Saga for are on this album (On The Loose and Wind Him Up).  I've always liked both of these songs a lot.  But to me, those are the only 3 star songs on the album.  I think Time's Up and Amnesia are decent, but the rest is just okay for me.  What about you guys, what do you think?  Mike, it was your request, I expect a very detailed comment from you.

The album has been re-issued and is quite easy to find. 

1. On The Loose ***

2. Time's Up **

3. Wind Him Up ***

4. Amnesia **

5. Framed *

6. The Interview *

7. No Regrets (Chapter 5) *

8. Conversations *

9. No Stranger (Chapter 8) *

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Saga's first 4 albums are great !  This being the fourth and the most well known gets most of the attention but you cant go wrong with owning the first 4...

There is not a single misstep on Worlds Apart.  From the day I first bought it, tracks like The Interview, No Regrets, Wind Him Up, and Conversations became some of the mst treasured works in my collection.   This album is a must have in my opinion!

I had a different album cover for this one:

Wonder why there's a different album cover now? Hmm....

According to Wikipedia, it's been released with several different album covers.  I have no idea which one was first.

I always thought this was the US cover and when they remastered they went back to original that RJ posted. 

That's the cover I remember also!

When I had it with the album cover I posted above, I didn't like it too much and that was the last Saga album I bought for awhile. But listening today, I kinda dig this, except for the second song. Still love the geetar/keyboard interplay in  "On The Loose".

Great pick, would rather have it with the album cover I had though. Make it happen!

I'm enjoying my Saga listen this morning!!!! Thanks RJ!!!  

it was really good to hear this again!!! I used to own it & would always listen to it from beginning to end. I remember keeping it in my case of favorites, which was stolen out of a car on a beach trip. A few other casualities, as I recall were Brian Setzer's "The Knife Feel's Like Justice", The Smitherines "Especially For You" & "Green Thoughts" , Tom Cochrane & Red Rider, Yes "90125", U2 "The Unforgettable Fire" to name a few. Sadly, I was never able to repurchase & recoop my loss, so hours of listening to these once coveted albums were lost.

Listening to it today, I recall every song as I remember it & I enjoy it in it's entirely!!! I agree with Scott, there's not a misstep on this album. I remember really liking side 2 & you could literally say tracks 6 -9 are your hidden gems!!! The hits hold up well "On The Loose" & "Wind Him Up" are still Amazing & don't seem overplayed.

I am also, in agreement with Scott about the first 4 albums being great, but I would add number 5 "Heads Or Tails". I remember giving it quite a bit of play time & enjoying it as well. i remember "Social Orphan" being one of my favorites.

I appreciate RJ putting this up, I was interesting in seeing everyone'a opinion, as well as a little self indulgence!

Good point on Heads Or Tails.  I love that album a lot as well, but I didn't include it in my comment because its a bit of a departure from the first 4 in several ways.

One of the most significant was that Heads or Tails was a bit of a departure from the "proggy" Saga in the first 4.  The songs were a little more radio friendly and more succinct in style.  Second, the albums mastering isn't as good, its really treble-ly and the remastered edition didn't fix that either.  And then lastly...  The first 4 Saga album's are all tied together by 8 "Chapters" of music that tell the story of a young Albert Einstein.  These Chapters were later expanded to 16, but the original intent was 8.  You can hear them all together  on a release titled "The Chapters LIVE", in order they are as follows...

• IMAGES (Chapter 1) - Saga/Images At Twilight
  • DON'T BE LATE (Chapter 2) - Saga/Silent Knight
  • ITS TIME (Chapter 3) - Saga/Images At Twilight
  • WILL IT BE YOU (Chapter 4) - Saga/Saga
  • NO REGRETS (Chapter 5) - Saga/Worlds Apart
  • TIRED WORLD (Chapter 6) - Saga/Saga
  • TOO MUCH TO LOSE (Chapter 7) - Saga/Images At Twilight
  • NO STRANGER (Chapter 8)- Saga/Worlds Apart

Maybe someone who owns all four releases could post the chapters in order!  That could make for a cool Hidden Treasure series if someone owned all four of these...  hhmmmmm

Very true, in regards to "Heads Or Tails". While good, nowhere close to the same class, as the previous 4. "More radio friendly" is an accurate description, as they attepted to go mainstream with "Cat Walk" & "The Flyer". Fortunately, there are other hidden gems elsewhere on the album. Valid points.

I remember the Einstein story & the chapters within the first 4 albums. I agree, to hear all 8 chapters together, in a complete book, would be nice! 

I didn't know it was the same album. I have the different SUNGLASSES cover also, on CD. I've seen the same cover on Vinyl.

What Saga album has the song Only Time Will Tell?

"Only Time Will Tell" is Asia & it's on their debut album.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos