Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #107 - TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - DAMN THE TORPEDOES (DISCOVERING TOM PETTY - PART 3)

Artist: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: Damn The Torpedoes

Released: October 19, 1979

Producer: Jimmy Lovine/Tom Petty

Singles: Don't Do Me Like That (#10) / Refugee (#15) / Here Comes My Girl (#59)

Song Of The Week: Even The Losers

Cover Me: Louisiana Rain by John Fogerty on his next covers album.

RIAA Certification: Double Platinum

Album Cover: 7/10

Last time we covered the sophomore effort from Petty.  And now that Petty's legal beef with MCA was settled (at the cost of his bankruptcy), he released his third album.  This was the first of 3 albums released on the Backstreet Records label, distributed by MCA.  The title referenced Admiral David Farragut's famous quote, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead".  Personally, I'm glad he used the first half of that quote and not the second half.  Anyway, the album was a smash.  It was the band's first Top 10 album, checking in at # 2 on the Billboard charts.  It spawned a Top 15 hit as well as a Top 10 hit, both noted above.  It has sold at least 2 million copies in the U.S., although that number probably should be higher.  

As far as my personal opinion, I think it's pretty obvious from the number of songs that I've added to the Ultimate Tom Petty Playlist.  Eight out of nine songs is not too shabby for any album.  In all honesty, I could have made it a clean sweep by adding Century City, but decided against it.  Quite simply, these songs are fantastic.  You have 3 well known singles, one album cut that gets tons of airplay (Even The Losers), and  4 outstanding hidden gems.  All I can say is that if you have not heard this album in it's entirety, here is your chance.  And after you listen, head over to your local music shop or Amazon and pick yourself up a copy.  This is a required album for any self respecting classic rock fan.

Ultimate Tom Petty Playlist (This Album): Refugee/Here Comes My Girl/Even The Losers/Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Don't Do Me Like That/You Tell Me/What Are You Doin' In My Life?/Louisiana Rain

1. Refugee ***

2. Here Comes My Girl ***

3. Even The Losers ***

4. Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid) ***

5. Century City **

6. Don't Do Me Like That ***

7. You Tell Me ***

8. What Are You Doin' In My Life? ***

9. Louisiana Rain ***

Ultimate TP Playlist (Running List): Breakdown/The Wild One, Forever/Strangered In The Night/Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)/American Girl/Magnolia/I Need To Know/Refugee/Here Comes My Girl/Even The Losers/Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Don't Do Me Like That/You Tell Me/What Are You Doin' In My Life?/Louisiana Rain

Views: 477

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I knew it!!!!  what did I win?

Hasn't everyone here bought this album within the last couple months? 

And didn't a couple get the Super Duper Primo Deluxe version?

I have the deluxe version

Ja, ja! Me deux!

Not me, I have the crappy re-mastered version.  Is the deluxe version worth the money?  Be honest.  Tell me all the bonus tracks aren't live...

They're not all live. There's 9 additional tracks with 3 of those live,a never before released track, alternate takes and a b-side. I think it's worth it.

Not sure if I want to buy this full album, or just try finding a greatest hits.

I am listening to this now, I like the first two songs (clearly) and Don't Do Me Like That (from the radio). The others would be better if I was following along with the lyrics in a real CD.

I need to do some birthday $$$ in the morning, and I'll hit the music store with some trades. If I see this one, I'll think about it.

I picked up this album yesterday.

My CD store reciept said I traded 8 things (I can only think of 7  - I hope I didn't grab a CD out of my car that I wanted to keep and trade it by mistake? I know I had a Stevie Nicks CD in my car Sat (still there) and a Night Ranger CD which is BACK on my CD shelf :lol I think the store just made a mistake, I'm going to go through my CD list again anyway to add new CDs/double check it. If I don't see anything important missing, I guess oh well.

Here is what I KNOW I traded.
1. Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna (Vinyl) I purchased the CD from Greywhale CD.
2. Stevie Nicks - Rock A Little (Vinyl) I purchased the CD off ebay, but it is was poor shape. Plays in my car, skips in other CD players. Not as good as the seller said. Scratched on top/silver layer and can not be fixed, I'll get another copy for the collection and keep this one in the car.
3. The Agonist - Lullabies for the Dormant Mind (Death/Thrash metal with a female singer)
4. Circus Of Power - Magic and Madness (I had two copies of this CD anyway).
5. Holy Moses - Agony of Death (Female singer - Death/Thrash antichrist stuff that I don't want anymore).
6. Negligence - Coordinates of Confusion (Thrash Metal stuff, it was Ok, but I don't need it. Not as good as the old staples.
7. Virgin Black - Sombre Romantic (Doom stuff with male and female vocals).

Here is what I purchased.

Movie - In Time

CDs
1. Jeff Beck - Live and Exclusive Grammy Museum (Used, but like new)
Instrumental except one song. I have other Beck CDs, very good!
2. Sammy Hagar Danger Zone (New)
3. Stevie Nicks - In Your Dreams (New)
4. Tom Petty Heartbreaker - Hits (Used, but good)
5. Tom Petty Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes (New - Remaster/Not Deluxe $5.99)
6. Dusty Springfield - 20th Century Masters ($5.99, This is oldies POP. It was cheap. Probably a good CD to listen to in the car with other people? 60s 70s Pop/Soul/Jazz I would call it?)

The Agonist - Band that I traded.

Holy Moses, the singer is actually pretty, but she looks AAAAAHHHH in this picture.

I'm confused, is this Record Store Day or where you post comments for "Damn The Torpedoes? No question, excellent album from beginning to end! You should have gone with the clean sweep on the play list, but 8-9, not bad! Not a lot to post here, that I haven't already posted on previous threads. This is critical Petty! If you're going to own some Petty, this is the one you want!!!

Van is posting his record store experience of how he acquired Damn The Torpedoes so its a valid post, plus one of the pics he posted is of a pretty hot gal!  So its Aces in my book 

Van jumps through hoops to get music, its pretty entertaining to read sometimes!  Maybe we should start a new forum for him titled "How I purchased ________!"

I am all for that! Vote for a forum for Van! I'm in!

This is the firt TP album I ever bought, this got a killer amount of airplay back in '79/'80. Lot of hype surrounding this album as well (more hype with the followup though, I'm sure Rjhog will explain for those that don't know...if he posts what I THINK he's gonna post), so much hype that I had to take my hard earned grass cuttin' money and buy it.

Wonder how many people bought this as their first TP album? Hmm...

"What Are You Doin' In My Life" is a fantastic little known track (and I have a favorite of the next album Rjhog posts...if he posts what I THINK he's gonna post). .  

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos