Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #107 - TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - DAMN THE TORPEDOES (DISCOVERING TOM PETTY - PART 3)

Artist: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: Damn The Torpedoes

Released: October 19, 1979

Producer: Jimmy Lovine/Tom Petty

Singles: Don't Do Me Like That (#10) / Refugee (#15) / Here Comes My Girl (#59)

Song Of The Week: Even The Losers

Cover Me: Louisiana Rain by John Fogerty on his next covers album.

RIAA Certification: Double Platinum

Album Cover: 7/10

Last time we covered the sophomore effort from Petty.  And now that Petty's legal beef with MCA was settled (at the cost of his bankruptcy), he released his third album.  This was the first of 3 albums released on the Backstreet Records label, distributed by MCA.  The title referenced Admiral David Farragut's famous quote, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead".  Personally, I'm glad he used the first half of that quote and not the second half.  Anyway, the album was a smash.  It was the band's first Top 10 album, checking in at # 2 on the Billboard charts.  It spawned a Top 15 hit as well as a Top 10 hit, both noted above.  It has sold at least 2 million copies in the U.S., although that number probably should be higher.  

As far as my personal opinion, I think it's pretty obvious from the number of songs that I've added to the Ultimate Tom Petty Playlist.  Eight out of nine songs is not too shabby for any album.  In all honesty, I could have made it a clean sweep by adding Century City, but decided against it.  Quite simply, these songs are fantastic.  You have 3 well known singles, one album cut that gets tons of airplay (Even The Losers), and  4 outstanding hidden gems.  All I can say is that if you have not heard this album in it's entirety, here is your chance.  And after you listen, head over to your local music shop or Amazon and pick yourself up a copy.  This is a required album for any self respecting classic rock fan.

Ultimate Tom Petty Playlist (This Album): Refugee/Here Comes My Girl/Even The Losers/Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Don't Do Me Like That/You Tell Me/What Are You Doin' In My Life?/Louisiana Rain

1. Refugee ***

2. Here Comes My Girl ***

3. Even The Losers ***

4. Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid) ***

5. Century City **

6. Don't Do Me Like That ***

7. You Tell Me ***

8. What Are You Doin' In My Life? ***

9. Louisiana Rain ***

Ultimate TP Playlist (Running List): Breakdown/The Wild One, Forever/Strangered In The Night/Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)/American Girl/Magnolia/I Need To Know/Refugee/Here Comes My Girl/Even The Losers/Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Don't Do Me Like That/You Tell Me/What Are You Doin' In My Life?/Louisiana Rain

Views: 477

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How much did you pay for it?  8.98 or 9.98?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos