Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #109 - TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - LONG AFTER DARK (DISCOVERING TOM PETTY - PART 5)

Artist: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: Long After Dark

Released: November 2, 1982

Producer: Jimmy Lovine/Tom Petty

Singles: You Got Lucky (#20)/Straight Into Darkness/Change Of Heart (#21)

Song Of The Week: The Same Old You

Cover Me: N/A

RIAA Certification: Gold

Album Cover: 8/10

So we have covered the mega-hit Damn The Torpedoes and the highly anticipated follow-up Hard Promises, and we now find ourselves in 1982.  The band's fifth studio album is Long After Dark and it's the subject of this week's Album Of The Week.  The album was a Top 10 hit and featured two Top 40 singles (noted above).  It also has been certified Gold by the RIAA.  The band experienced a member change prior to the recording of this album.  Bassist Ron Blair was replaced by Howie Epstein.  This lineup lasted until 1991.  

As far as album related trivia goes, there was a song recorded called Keeping Me Alive that Petty was quite fond of, however, Co-Producer Jimmy Lovine vetoed it.  Petty claims the album would have been better if it would have been included.  It was eventually released on the 1995 box set Playback.  More on this later in the series.

What do I think of the album?  I certainly think the album cover is much better.  Let's face it, Petty isn't the greatest looking guy on the earth.  But I think they got this one right.  As far as the music quality goes, this album is really good.  I'd rank it as number 2 out of the first 5 that we have discussed.  It's rivals Damn The Torpedoes for me, though just a small step below that album.  As you can see, I'm adding 8 out of the 10 songs to the Ultimate TP Playlist.  Even the 2 songs I'm not adding are pretty good.  I really like this album.

Ultimate Tom Petty Playlist (This Album): You Got Lucky/Deliver Me/Change Of Heart/Finding Out/We Stand A Chance/Straight Into Darkness/The Same Old You/A Wasted Life

1. A One Story Town **

2. You Got Lucky ***

3. Deliver Me ***  

4. Change Of Heart ***

5. Finding Out ***

6. We Stand A Chance ***

7. Straight Into Darkness ***

8. The Same Old You ***

9. Between Two Worlds **

10. A Wasted Life ***

Ultimate TP Playlist (Running List): Breakdown/The Wild One, Forever/Strangered In The Night/Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)/American Girl/Magnolia/I Need To Know/Refugee/Here Comes My Girl/Even The Losers/Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Don't Do Me Like That/You Tell Me/What Are You Doin' In My Life?/Louisiana Rain/The Waiting/A Woman In Love (It's Not Me)/Nightwatchman/Something Big/You Got Lucky/Deliver Me/Change Of Heart/Finding Out/We Stand A Chance/Straight Into Darkness/The Same Old You/A Wasted Life

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice run on the last 5 AOTW's. Got more? Because I'm listening...

Two more weeks of TP, then a short break, then back to TP.  

This is kinda a funny album for me. I bought it when it first came out, hated it, swore of TP (not THAT TP) and then the next album came out which I bought (and like).

Got the remaster this year (I think) and liked it. Listened to it again today and liked it even more. I think it's an under appreciated TP album (at least to me). 

(No more parentheses)

Listening to this the think that comes to mind is that cheesy post apocolyptic video the did for '"You Got Lucky". I just remember being tired of listening to the song, but liking Tom Petty, so I always sat through the video. "You Got Lucky" was never one of my favorite Petty songs & the follow up "Change Of Heart" was just ok. So, in turn I never really got into this album. I'm with Jon, I think it's an overlooked & under appreciated album.

Listening to it now, it's totally solid, classic Petty & TP don't make no bad songs.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos