Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #110 - TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - SOUTHERN ACCENTS (DISCOVERING TOM PETTY - PART 6)

Artist: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: Southern Accents

Released: March 26, 19785

Producer: Jimmy Lovine/Tom Petty/Mike Campbell/David A. Stewart/Robbie Robertson

Singles: Don't Come Around Here No More (#13)/Make It Better (Forget About Me)/Rebels

Song Of Week: Rebels

Cover Me: Southern Accents by Brad Paisley (taylor made country song)

RIAA Certification: Platinum

Album Cover: 5/10

We have arrived at the 6th studio album for the band.  Southern Accents was released in 1985 and climbed as high as #7 on the Billboard chart.  There was only one Top 40 hit, that being Don't Come Around Here No More.  You probably remember the video for this song: 

**Video will not embed, see first reply below for the video**

The sessions caused a bit of tension within the band.  The album was supposed to be a concept album, but it seemed like each band member had a different vision.  To top that off, three songs that were supposed to be on the album were left off in favor of three songs co-written by Dave Stewart (tracks 2, 3 and 5).  But it doesn't stop there.  While mixing Rebels, petty got aggravated and punched a wall, which in turn caused him to need surgery.  That's all of the scoop I can get from Wikipedia, but I have ordered a book and I'm hoping that by the time I get to the next studio album I'll have some more information for you.

As far as my opinion goes, this is definitely one of my two least favorites so far.  It's neck and neck with You're Gonna Get It.  One thing I don't like is all of the horns involved.  It's just a bit much for me.  So I'm only adding 3 songs to the Ultimate TP Playlist.  I wasn't sure about It Ain't Nothin' To Me, but I decided to add it 'cause it's pretty cool.  

Next Week:  One more Petty album before a break.

Ultimate Tom Petty Playlist (This Album): Rebels/It Ain't Nothin' To Me/Don't Come Around Here No More

1. Rebels ***

2. It Ain't Nothin' To Me ***

3. Don't Come Around Here No More ***

4. Southern Accents **

5. Make It Better (Forget About Me) **

6. Spike **

7. Dogs On The Run **

8. Mary's New Car **

9. The Best Of Everything **

Ultimate TP Playlist (Running List): Breakdown/The Wild One, Forever/Strangered In The Night/Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)/American Girl/Magnolia/I Need To Know/Refugee/Here Comes My Girl/Even The Losers/Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Don't Do Me Like That/You Tell Me/What Are You Doin' In My Life?/Louisiana Rain/The Waiting/A Woman In Love (It's Not Me)/Nightwatchman/Something Big/You Got Lucky/Deliver Me/Finding Out/We Stand A Chance/Straight Into Darkness/The Same Old You/A Wasted Life/Rebels/It Ain't Nothin' To Me/Don't Come Around Here No More

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is probably my favorite TP album of them all. I played this quite a bit when I first got it on vinyl, kind of got me back into TP. I was also smoking a lot of "cigarettes" back then, that might have had something to do with it.

At the time of its release, I gotta admit that this album didn't really excite me so it totally fell off my radar except for the one Mtv hit.  I think my issue was the Eurythmics collaboration - AKA Dave Stewart.  I didn't like that style of music, and quite frankly the Dave Stewart/Euythmics/Annie Lennox work still doesn't do anything for me.  Hearing it again all this time later, I still hear the 80's production.

1 - Rebel is a pretty good tune, I like it as an opener.  I cant help but think how much better this could've been if he'd of kept going in the direction of his prior albums instead of making an MTV/TOP40 friendly album.

2 - eh...  Petty and a horn section just sounds weird, I do like this song a little bit though not something I would put on a playlist.  (D'OH!  I kid...)

3 - The lone hit song is just ok for me as well.  The video was always pretty cool.

4 - The title track is also in that "pretty good" category, so I sense a theme?

5 - Is this a remake?  Sounds familiar for some reason.  But I don't like this.

6 - This sounds pretty cool to me!  Finally something better than pretty good!

7 - My favorite so far, and this didn't make the playlist?

8 - Oh man!  Just when I was thinking side 2 was strong!  We get Mary a new car and were back in "eh" land.

9 - I like the closer, its not barn burner, but its ok, again not sure about the horn section, but the tune is good.

I think 2 things...
First that side 2 is better than side 1 because it sounds more like Petty, and second, that Jon is wrong, this is not Petty's best.  I understand what he was trying to do at the time but it didnt hold up as it sounds dated and not as well written as everything he'd done leading up to this album, (or after).  Still its great to hear these albums and get the full Petty treatment.  Were all now primed to hear ...  The Rest of the Story!

Rented "We Bought A Zoo" from Redbox over the weekend, interestingly, it featured "Don't Come Around Here No More"!

Gave this a spin today since I haven't heard it for a few months and it's still my favorite. Why? Because I like it. Why? Because it's all over the board. That's my say, I like what I like, sometimes I don't need no stinkin' reason! 

I always like "Don't Come Around Here No More" & it's accompanying video. I always thought the weird enchanting sounds in the song, were kinda' cool! The video's "Alice In Wonderland" theme, with Tom Petty as the Mad Hatter was a neat & interesting concept. It was a ittle twisted, kinda' like the Johnny Depp's Wonderland. "Rebels" was always a good soloid Petty tune, but I wasn't really familiar with the rest of the album. Yeah, it had some horns & stuff, but it's still Petty & Petty don't make bad songs.

To address Scott's point, I was never a big Eurythmics fan! I thought they were talented, but too strange & offbeat for me. Then, I was sitting in the theater watching Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King & heard Annie Lennox perform "Into The West" & it blew me away!!! Wow, I never knew she was such an amazing vocalist, I never knew she had such incredible range! Her talents were so under used in the Eurythmics. I immediately became a fan & began to review her catalog. I was pleasantly surprised at what I found, there a quite a few hidden gems in her solo work. I have gained a totally new level of respect for Annie Lennox.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos