Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #113 - TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - "LET ME UP (I'VE HAD ENOUGH)" (DISCOVERING TOM PETTY - PART 8)

Artist: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: "Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)"

Released: April 21, 1987

Producer: Tom Petty/Mike Campbell

Singles: Jammin' Me/All Mixed Up

Song Of Week: The Damage You've Done

Cover Me: N/A

RIAA Certification: Platinum

Album Cover: 7/10

Disclaimer: As I mention below, the bonus tracks here are unofficial.  They do not appear on the proper album release or any subsequent remaster.  I pulled them from the Playback box set after reading about them.  I thought they would make interesting bonus tracks for this record since they could have easily appeared on the album.

So where are we at?  The last studio album we covered was Southern Accents, and we followed that up with the live release Pack Up The Plantation: Live!  Bob Dylan pegged Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to perform as his backing band on a tour at this time.  Undoubtably, Petty and Dylan got along great because they co-wrote the single Jammin' Me from our current album as well as performing together as part of The Traveling Wilburys.  

After the Dylan tour, the band released "Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)".  I don't think Petty is a huge fan of this album.  Not a single song (not even Jammin' Me) made it onto the Greatest Hits album from 1993.  I can't say I was crazy about the album at first, but upon several listens, I think it's quite deserving.  The first three songs are nice additions to the running playlist, with the second track, Runaway Trains, having a distinct 80's pop/techno sound, almost like Wang Chung or some other band like that.

As far as the "unofficial" bonus tracks I added, both are fairly interesting.  The first is the country version of The Damage You've Done.    Again, according to the book I'm reading, the country version is the first take. Then Petty decided to do some ad-libbing.  He would call out a chord with the entire band going to that particular chord. They continued this while the recorders were rolling, and after recording the second version, they took out the instructions he yelled out.  The second version is the one that was put on the album.  Which one do you like better?  The second bonus track was written by Tom and Bob Dylan.  It's the version that was recorded for this album, but left off.  It was recorded by Dylan as well and included on his Knocked Out Loaded album.  I've listened to a clip of it and it sounds pretty much like the Petty version, just with Dylan singing.

So there you have it.  What is your opinion of this album?  This album has some decent material on it.  There are a couple more tracks I could have added to the ultimate playlist (It'll All Work Out and My Life/Your World), but I think we have enough.

Next Week:  Maybe one more Petty entry before another break.

Ultimate Tom Petty Playlist (This Album): Jammin' Me/Runaway Trains/The Damage You've Done

1. Jammin' Me

2. Runaway Trains

3. The Damage You've Done

4. It'll All Work Out

5. My Life/Your World

6. Think About Me

7. All Mixed Up

8. A Self-Made Man

9. Ain't Love Strange

10. How Many More Days

11. Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)

Bonus Tracks (From the boxed set Playback)

12. The Damage You've Done (Country Version)

13. Got My Mind Made Up

Ultimate TP Playlist (Running List): Breakdown/The Wild One, Forever/Strangered In The Night/Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)/American Girl/Magnolia/I Need To Know/Refugee/Here Comes My Girl/Even The Losers/Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Don't Do Me Like That/You Tell Me/What Are You Doin' In My Life?/Louisiana Rain/The Waiting/A Woman In Love (It's Not Me)/Nightwatchman/Something Big/You Got Lucky/Deliver Me/Finding Out/We Stand A Chance/Straight Into Darkness/The Same Old You/A Wasted Life/Rebels/It Ain't Nothin' To Me/Don't Come Around Here No More/So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star/Insider/Southern Accents/Don't Bring Me Down/Jammin' Me/Runaway Trains/The Damage You've Done

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll listen to this when I'm back from Monkey Island, but I ALMOST posted Nantucket's second album instead. Shame I didn't because both album covers would have paired up perfectly!

Never heard this one and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised that it doesn't sound like Traveling Wilburys like the majority of his work in the 90's and 2000's.

More to come...

So listening to this again and I like it!  Sounds real nice, and again I like the feel of the production its crisp and clear.  Theres some really strong songs here but nothing that sticks out as great, just a nice consistent good listen.  Not purchase material for me though.

Nice post and I am still enjoying this series.  I am interested in getting to the Jeff Lynne produced albums because my impression is that they all sound the same and I am really hoping that is not the case...

I don't think you're gonna like then next one too much.  

Actually, I am looking forward to the post.  My listening experience of Petty is limited to radio friendly hits from the "Wilbury's" era so I am hoping my opinion is wrong and I like it...

I'm curious to hear what you thought of the two "extra" tracks I included.  I have something special planned regarding extra tracks down the line.  I personally think these two are just okay, with the album version of The Damage You've Done being much better than the bonus "country" version.

I really don't like the majority of country music, there are a couple of bands I will listen to and couple that I find enjoyable (Kentucky Headhunters comes to mind)  - but no current country band even comes close to being good and lyrically country music is the most mind numbingly stupid genre out there...

That said....  His country version doesn't really being any credibility to the genre and I cant listen to it all the way , so I take a pass on that track, ...  the second bonus track, however is pretty good.

I was just curious, thanks for the feedback.  I have some other stuff coming later that I think you'll like much better.  I know I do.

I'll get to this album soon, just got back from MI and am tired. But, for those interested, this is really cheap:

Clicking the picture will bring you right to the item on Amazon, but hurry! ONLY FOUR LEFT!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I have not listened to this for many, many years. It's kinda like a "lesser" TP album but it's not bad at all. I still have this on vinyl, got it from a friend who was going thru BIG issues and who had somehow joined Columbia House on one of his ,ahem, binges and gave me this album along with a few others. So this album will always remind me of a friend who was into some seriously bad stuff. Thanks Rjhog!

The last few tracks seemed to drag a bit, but overall a typical TP listening experience. As for the bonus tracks...toss the first one, after a shaky start the second one isn't too bad.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos