Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 118 CHEECH & CHONG - LOS COCHINOS (1973)

Words Of Wisdom

"Taste like dog shit/Good thing we no step in it"

Artist: Cheech & Chong

Genre: Comedy

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Los Cochinos

Released: August 1973

Producer: Lou Adler

Singles: Basketball Jones

Song Of The Week: Basketball Jones

RIAA Certification: N/A

Album Cover: 8/10

I’m going in a different direction this week.  I’m putting up some comedy (I’m probably gonna do this again from time to time).  It’s the third studio album by Cheech & Chong called Los Cochinos.  I picked this album for two simple reasons.  First, my cousin owned it back when we were kids and we listened to it quite a bit.  Secondly, it does have a classic rock tie in.  More on that later.  The album reached number 2 on the Billboard albums chart and earned the duo their only Grammy for Best Comedy Recording.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s the greatest comedy ever, but some of it is very funny.  Pedro And Man At The Drive-Inn cracks me up.  The Strawberry Revival Festival name checks Black Sabbath.  Don’t Bug Me is pretty funny, but I really dig the Evelyn Woodhead Speed Reading Course.  Other than Basketball Jones, Cheborneck is the best track here.  As you can see, Words Of Wisdom come from this track this week.

As far as Basketball Jones goes, here’s the classic rock tie in.  Guess who plays guitar on the track?  The one and only George Harrison.   And the guitar really makes the song pop.  Carole King, Billy Preston and Michelle Phillips are also some of the guests featured on the track. 

So what do you think?  Are you a comedy fan?

Next Week:  Back to Discovering Tom Petty

1. Sergeant Stadanko

2. Peter Rooter

3. Up His Nose

4. Pedro And Man At The Drive-Inn

5. The Strawberry Revival Festival

6. Don't Bug Me

7. Evelyn Woodhead Speed Reading Course

8. Les Morpions

9. Cheborneck

10. White World Of Sports

11. Basketball Jones

Views: 1590

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WTF?

What?

This ain't music!!!

What?

I love Tyrone Shoelaces, and Cheborneck.  Still quote them to this day!

I like that you threw us a curve ball with a comedy album! 

I listened to this at work and it's kinda hard when you're on conference calls. It was ok, nothing really made me laugh except for the Canadian part and the basketball skit. The rest I've either heard before or it wasn't that funny and I do like C&C (but not the music factory).

Scott's right, nice loop and and least there was one song so you'll get a pass I guess. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos