Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #119 - TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - INTO THE GREAT WIDE OPEN (DISCOVERING TOM PETTY - PART 11)

Artist: Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: Into The Great Wide Open

Released: July 2, 1991

Producer: Jeff Lynne/Tom Petty/Mike Campbell

Singles: Learning To Fly/Into The Great Wide Open/Too Good To Be True/Kings Highway/All Or Nothin'

Song Of Week: Out In The Cold

RIAA Certification: 2 X Platinum

Album Cover: 4/10

The last Petty album we covered was Full Moon Fever, one of my two favorites from the band.  This week we look at the follow-up, Into The Great Wide Open from 1991.  The album was pretty successful as it reached number 13 on the Billboard chart.  It sold in excess of 2 million copies and spawned a Top 40 hit (Learning To Fly at #28).  So not too shabby.

For me, this album is a bit underwhelming.  Don't get me wrong, it's not bad at all.  It's just that I thought Full Moon Fever was so good, I expected this one to be in the same ballpark.  It was produced by the same trio that produced FMF, but I just don't think the songs are as strong as a whole.  

Oh, and by the way, this was the band's last album with MCA.  You can pick it up at Amazon for $4.99.  Give it a listen and tell me what you think of it. 

Ultimate Tom Petty Playlist (This Album): Learning To Fly/Into The Great Wide Open/All Or Nothin'/Out In The Cold

1. Learning To Fly

2. Kings Highway

3. Into The Great Wide Open

4. Two Gunslingers

5. The Dark Of The Sun

6. All Or Nothin'

7. All The Wrong Reasons

8. Too Good To Be True

9. Out In The Cold

10. You And I Will Meet Again

11. Makin' Some Noise

12. Built To Last

Ultimate TP Playlist (Running List): Breakdown/The Wild One, Forever/Strangered In The Night/Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)/American Girl/Magnolia/I Need To Know/Refugee/Here Comes My Girl/Even The Losers/Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Don't Do Me Like That/You Tell Me/What Are You Doin' In My Life?/Louisiana Rain/The Waiting/A Woman In Love (It's Not Me)/Nightwatchman/Something Big/You Got Lucky/Deliver Me/Finding Out/We Stand A Chance/Straight Into Darkness/The Same Old You/A Wasted Life/Rebels/It Ain't Nothin' To Me/Don't Come Around Here No More/So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star/Insider/Southern Accents/Don't Bring Me Down/Jammin' Me/Runaway Trains/The Damage You've Done/Handle With Care/End Of The Line/Free Fallin'/I Won't Back Down/Love Is A Long Road/A Face In The Crowd/Runnin' Down A Dream/I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better/Yer So Bad/Depending On You/A Mind With A Heart Of It's Own/Learning To Fly/Into The Great Wide Open/All Or Nothin'/Out In The Cold

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Since Full Moon Fever was a solo album and Into The Great Wide Open is the full band, wouldn't this week's album be the followup to Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)?

And shouldn't you say that Full Moon Fever is your favorite TP solo album and then say what your TP & TH favorite album is instead of lumping them together?

Just askin'.

That's probably what I should have said.

That's not what I said.

But probably should have.

But didn't.

But could have.

This is the Wilbury's sound I've been referring to.  Its almost as if Lynne, Harrison, Dylan, and Orbison were sitting in the production booth and writing tunes with him!  So this could easily be a Wilbury's disc if you ask me.

There's no deviation from the sound either, it's like Petty wants you to realize that this is his direction and that's all there is to it, like it or not!  In Full Moon Fever he played with some different productions and musical styles that really made that discs stand out, this one just kind of drones on without the feel of things ever shifting in any direction, all Wilbury's all the time!  And surprisingly (or not) he makes about half of it work real nice!  But the other half? eh....

I did enjoy King's Highway, The Dark of the Sun, You and I Will Meet Again - those were nice tunes that I've never heard before!

This is an interesting album. I have it and have listened to it quite a few times, but can't remember half the stuff I hear. So when I listen to it again, about half is new. So, today, half of this was new to me. Does this make it a bad album? I mean, I like it every time I listen to it, but maybe space off or something on certain songs.

All in all, it's a good album. Especially the parts I remember because I, again, forgot the rest.   

Nice post though. I think.

This is really good. I like all the songs. I think it is a perfect album myself!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos