Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: 11

Released: October 18, 1989

Producer: Ed Stasium

Singles: A Girl Like You/Blues Before And After/Yesterday Girl

Song Of The Week: Cut Flowers

RIAA Certification: Copper

Album Cover: 8/10

So this week Jon and myself are further introducing you to The Smithereens.  The album of the week comes from 1989 and is the band's third official album.  It didn't crack the Top 40 (#41 on Billboard's chart) but it did manage one Top 40 hit (A Girl Like You #38).  

I think the first 7 tracks are all very good.  My favorite song on the album is the one I picked for Song Of The Week (Cut Flowers).  The female voice on Blue Period should sound familiar to you, it's Belinda Carlisle.  And in case you were wondering, the album cover was inspired by the movie Oceans Eleven.  

So give it a listen and see if you like Power Pop or not.  

Next Week:  A classic re-upped.

1. A Girl Like You

2. Blues Before And After

3. Blue Period

4. Baby Be Good

5. Room Without A View

6. Yesterday Girl

7. Cut Flowers

8. William Wilson

9. Maria Elena

10. Kiss Your Tears Away

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Seriously? More Smithereens? What's up with this? Hope you don't lose a listener (ahem, SCOTT) by doing this.

Oh...you ruined it.

Sometimes I just wanna turn to Jon and ask..."What the fuck are you talking about"?

Hmm...sounds like someone is pissed off.

Open with a Kinks-like riff and the chorus sounds familiar to me, and since I wasn't an MTV fan in 1989 I'm guessing they got some minimal radio play or this sounds exactly like something else...

Second tune has another OK riff, its a bit flatter than the opener, but hey!  It's not sounding like a theme song from an unnamed TV sitcom.  After this Blues Before and After tune is Blue Period which is actually After versus Before, so that second tune didn't lie.  But the song falls flat for me, its a bit monotone in the chorus and the music just kinda fades into the background.

Baby Be Good is not Good, Room Without A View is a song without a catchy anything, Yesterdays Girls and Cut Flowers have that sitcom theme feel to it...

The rest?  It just doesn't work for me!  Im truly sorry, but I don't hear it.  I do feel a long series showcasing Supertramp is in order however...

The Smithereens only have 27 albums in their catalog, so it shouldn't take long to get through it.

....  .... ....

I have this album, and I like it. There is some filler towards the end, but it is a killer opening track.

Rumor has it that there's more Smithereens this weekend? Is this true?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos