Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #124 TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - SONGS AND MUSIC FROM SHE'S THE ONE (DISCOVERING TOM PETTY - PART 14)

Artist: Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: Songs And Music From She's The One

Released:  August 6, 1996

Producer: Rick Rubin/Tom Petty/Mike Campbell

Singles: Walls (Circus)

Song Of Week: Grew Up Fast

RIAA Certification: Gold

Album Cover: 5/10

We have arrived in 1996.  This is my 14th post in the Tom Petty series and it's starting to wind down.  I have two more "special" posts, three more studio albums for TP&TH's and one more solo release.  Then we will have been through the entire TP catalog (except for The Traveling Wilbury's second release).  This week's album serves as the soundtrack to the the 1996 film She's The One.  There was only one single, Walls (Circus), and it charted at #69 on the Billboard Hot 100.  The album charted at #15 and managed a Gold certification from the RIAA.

Quite honestly, I had never heard a single song from this album until I purchased it for this series.  I'm only adding 2 songs from it to the Ultimate TP Playlist, but none the less, it's a very decent album.  It's an easy listen and mostly quite typical Petty.  There are a couple of songs that are slightly heavier than usual, but no real surprises.  I think it makes a pretty good listen and I hope you enjoy it.

Next week:  No Clue

Ultimate Tom Petty Playlist (This Album):  Walls (Circus)/Grew Up To Fast

1. Walls (Circus)

2. Grew Up To Fast

3. Zero From Outer Space

4. Climb That Hill

5. Change The Locks

6. Angel Dream (No. 4)

7. Hope You Never

8. Asshole

9. Supernatural Radio

10. California

11. Hope On Board

12. Walls (No. 3)

13. Angel Dream (No. 2)

14. Hung Up And Overdue

15. Airport

Ultimate TP Playlist (Running List): Breakdown/The Wild One, Forever/Strangered In The Night/Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)/American Girl/Magnolia/I Need To Know/Refugee/Here Comes My Girl/Even The Losers/Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Don't Do Me Like That/You Tell Me/What Are You Doin' In My Life?/Louisiana Rain/The Waiting/A Woman In Love (It's Not Me)/Nightwatchman/Something Big/You Got Lucky/Deliver Me/Finding Out/We Stand A Chance/Straight Into Darkness/The Same Old You/A Wasted Life/Rebels/It Ain't Nothin' To Me/Don't Come Around Here No More/So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star/Insider/Southern Accents/Don't Bring Me Down/Jammin' Me/Runaway Trains/The Damage You've Done/Handle With Care/End Of The Line/Free Fallin'/I Won't Back Down/Love Is A Long Road/A Face In The Crowd/Runnin' Down A Dream/I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better/Yer So Bad/Depending On You/A Mind With A Heart Of It's Own/Learning To Fly/Into The Great Wide Open/All Or Nothin'/Out In The Cold/You Don't Know How It Feels/Time To Move On/Don't Fade On Me/Hard On Me/Casa Dega/Waiting For Tonight/Mary Jane's Last Dance/Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (Demo)/Walls (Circus)/Grew Up To Fast

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm getting TP'd out. It's starting to hurt my bunghole.

Then you need better TP.

Jon-holio?

I like Tears For Fears interpretation of Beatles sounds better.  hahahaha...  Just saying since I'm listening to these back to back and I hear their influence heavily in both...

In this long long, long ...  long series you have managed to change my impression of his tunes being all Wilbury-esque.  Ive added 3 albums to my wish list and still may pull the trigger on them.  And even though this series has gone on and on and on ... and on, I still want to hear the Highway Song album as I recall a favorable impression from Pell's series on the same album.  Then I will be Petty'd out.

Oh yeah, you forgot to warn us about the "F" word in the third track.  My wife wanted to know what I was listening to and that I should probably turn it down!  Thanks pal!  hahahahahaha

Here's my summary...

Better than average Tracks - 1, 2, 12, 13 (like the style of acoustic picking used)

Average Tracks - 4, 7, 9 (only because of the geetar), 15 (cool interlude, or exitlude)

Below Average Tracks - 3, 5, 6, 10

Filler - 8 (funny but still filler), 11 (Maybe watching the movie would help?), 14

Never heard this album before and it's because of two people I can't stand: Edward Burns and Jennifer Aniston. 

No I'm really bummed since this was very, very good. Especially for a soundtrack album, this knocked my socks off. TO me it's the best TP&TH album since "Southern Accents".

i really didn't hear any filler, everything flowed nicely. And you're right, they did rock out harder than before on a few tracks, so much so I had to listen to those tracks again.

Nice post and I'm probably going to find a cheap copy somewhere.

Now leave my behind alone and stop with the TP!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos