Classic Rock Bottom

Artist: Keel

Genre: Heavy Metal (According to Wikipedia)

Country Of Origin: U.S.

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: The Final Fronier

Released: April 30, 1986

Producer: Gene Simmons

Singles: Because The Night/Tears Of Fire

Song Of The Week: Because The Night

RIAA Certification: Shitnesium

Album Cover: 8/10

I'm pretty sure that I'm the only Keel fan around here.  At least as far as the people go that actually read and listen to this stuff.  This is the band's third release overall and the second release that was produced by Gene Simmons.  I'm not familiar with him.  Anyway, the album didn't scratch the charts, but they did have a couple of videos in rotation on MTV.  

My favorite track (and the Song OF The Week) from this album and from the band overall is the cover of Because The Night.  It's a great song and Keel gives it some bite.  I love the scream from Ron Keel going into the guitar solo.  That really just makes the song for me. Tears Of Fire is damn good too.  I dig the title track, Rock And Roll Animal, Here Today, Gone Tomorrow and Just Another Girl as well.  I'd say this is the band's best work.  Go ahead, even if you don't like 'em, and give this a listen.  Or not.

1. The Final Frontier

2. Rock And Roll Animal

3. Because The Night

4. Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

5. Arm And A Leg

6. Raised On Rock

7. Just Another Girl

8. Tears Of Fire

9. Nightfall

10. No Pain No Gain

Views: 221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I actually have this on vinyl, now that I've heard it again. I think I thought it was ok back then, but not "feeling it" too much anymore. The screams kind of get on my nerves, too! The best thing about this album is the cover, which I think is very cool. And when this cover was done, no one would have ever thought the twin towers would one day be gone...R.I.P. to all those innocent victims...and never forget!!

The best Keel I ever heard, was a tune that I saw the video for on MTV back in the day...it's called "Rock and Roll Outlaw" and it has a killer main riff. So good I had to learn it myself, but never got to play it in a band. Dont think it was ever on a Keel album...it might have been part of a soundtrack or something.

But Keel for me was always well behind other 80's bands that did not have major success, like Riot, or Rough Cutt. But it was interesting to hear this again.

I posted about this on FB. I like it!

Thanks Van.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos