Album: Animalize

Released: September 13, 1984

Producer: Paul Stanley

Singles: Heaven's On Fire/Thrills In The Night

Song Of The Week: Thrills In The Night

RIAA Certification: Platinum

Album Cover: 1/10

Facts (by Wikipedia)

1. This, Kiss' 12th studio album, managed a Platinum certification.

2. Mark St. John would make his first and only appearance on a Kiss album.  He replaced Vinnie Vincent and was Kiss' third official guitarist.  St. John was stricken with Reiter's Syndrome, an autoimmune disease and was unable to complete the tour for the album.  He died of a cerebral hemorrhage on April 5, 2007.

3. Future Kiss guitarist Bruce Kulick played lead guitar on 2 tracks, Lonely Is The Hunter and Murder In High Heels.  

4. Gene Simmons performed bass guitar duties on only 4 songs (Burn Bitch Burn, Lonely Is The Hunter, While The City Sleeps and Murder In High Heels).  He was a bit distracted by Hollywood.  

Observations (by RJhog)

1. This was the beginning of the period that really turned me off of Gene Simmons.  His songs were weak, but in retrospect, on this album they were really no weaker than Paul's songs. 

2. Paul's worst song is easily Get All You Can Take.  This song and his high singing may have initiated his future problems in the vocal department (that's my opinion, not a licensed medical opinion).

3. This is one of my least favorite albums, with Heaven's On Fire being way overrated in my book.

1. I've Had Enough (Into The Fire)

2. Heaven's On Fire

3. Burn Bitch Burn

4. Get All You Can Take

5. Lonely Is The Hunter

6. Under The Gun

7. Thrills In The Night

8. While The City Sleeps

9. Murder In High Heels

Views: 185

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The "I can play guitar faster than you" album. 

When this first came out I loved it, KISS were hot and Mtv loved them.  This album isn't really that bad when you stack it up against all other non-makeup 80's albums.  I will admit that St Johns playing is truly annoying, how they let him getaway with that in the studio is beyond me.

From a song perspective the only real filler is Under the Gun and While the City Sleeps.  And the two hits are still just OK.  I used to love Thrills In The Night but it just doesn't stand up anymore, and your right about Heavens On Fire - its also suffering from aging issues and overplay.  The rest are better than your average KISS non-makeup 80's tracks.

Listening to this makes me frustrated for the times when KISS were a band and not a Brand.  I know I say that a lot, but its truly annoying.  Even with the Lead Guitar revolving door at the time they were still a band progressing and doing some cool things. 

This was a much better post than I expected!  Happy New Year!

It was great times, but I didn't really care for this album. It was stuck in between two better albums. Like Scott, I also liked "Thrills In The Night", and the video was not bad. The highlight of the 80's would be "Asylum" and the tour around that album. Even though Gene was wearing dresses and "make-up" on that tour, it worked because it was the friggin' 80's, and I've always wished, that I had catched them on that tour. When they toured "Animalize" with Bon Jovi, I couldn't care less. But I did like Mark St. John better than Kulick.

I was never a fan of "Heaven's On Fire", so this album never interested me as a purchase. I don't remember hearing "Thrills In The Night", it's okay, but there's no hook in it for me. My favorite song on this album is easily "I've Had Enough", the rest is pretty forgettable. There are some real dogs on here. For the most part, the guitar sounds unimaginative & sloppy.

Are you guys serious? You don't like this album? Hmmm.....maybe I'm just emotionally attached since this was my first true introduction to KISS, and MTV Hard Rock. I was 10 years old when this came out, and my friends and I thought a dude lighting his hands on fire was pretty cool. Of all the non warpaint years, this album is by far my favorite.

I wanted to like it Lance, I really did!

I think Lick It Up, Creatures and Asylum are better than this.  Don't get me wrong, I liked it in the mid-80's, but it just doesn't hold up like so many of the other Kiss albums.

I too have this album (also have the vinyl which I got in England many years ago) and while I was listening it dawned on me these songs would be much, MUCH better if Stanley, Simmons, Singer and Thayer (the TRUE Kiss) were to re-do these songs and give them more bite and awesomeness!

Other than that, it's not a bad album, I can dig it. But it does sound a bit dated and the geetars have a tendency to sound messy and overblown.

Good post, just remember in the future to post real Kiss music, ok?

Tommy Thayer is no Mark St. John sir! 

Not only should the current line-up re-record this album, they should add Dennis DeYoung and Lawrence Gowan to the band to provide keys.

ooooh...me like! And they can call themselves Kyx!

Love It! Kyx would be Kool!!!

I just threw up in my mouth a little ...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos