Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 136 HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS - SPORTS (1983 - 30TH ANNIVERSARY)

Artist: Huey Lewis And The News

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: U.S.

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Sports

Released: September 15, 1983

Producer: Huey Lewis And The News

Singles: Heart And Soul/I Want A New Drug/The Heart Of Rock & Roll/If This Is It/Walking On A Thin Line

Song Of The Week: Walking On A Thin Line

RIAA Certification: 7 X Platinum

Album Cover: 8/10

Facts (by Wikipedia)

1. This album has been certified 7 X Platinum by the RIAA and was the first of two straight Billboard Number One albums (Fore! was the other).

2. All five singles from this album hit the Top 20, with four of those hitting the Top 10 (Walking On A Thin Line was #18).

3. The band won a Grammy in 1986 for Best Music Video, Long Form for The Heart Of Rock 'n' Roll.

4. I Want A New Drug is a Gold certified single.  A lawsuit was filed against Ray Parker Jr. for allegedly plagiarizing the song in his hit Ghostbusters.  According to Wikipedia, it was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.

Observations (by RJhog)

1. This was and still is a really cool album.  No other bands really sounded like Huey Lewis And The News.

2.  My favorite track comes from this album (If This Is It).

3.  This is a vinyl rip.  I found this at the flea market for a buck.

1. The Heart Of Rock & Roll

2. Heart And Soul

3. Bad Is Bad

4. I Want A New Drug

5. Walking On A Thin Line

6. Finally Found A Home

7. If This Is It

8. You Crack Me Up

9. Honky Tonk Blues

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love this album. Hell, I still own my CASSETTE copy of the release.

And "I Want a New Drug" is my personal favorite from the album.

Back in the day, as we say around here, it was not cool to be a Huey Lewis fan.  Not sure why though, he wrote some solid tunes and the band, The News, were pretty darn good.

I had a chance to go see them live for free, I wasn't sure I really wanted to go, but I did anyway.  Ended up becoming a fan of the band. 

This album is just top to bottom great!  Two songs from it didn't get radio airplay or high chart position?  I think those were Finally Found a Home and Honky Tonk Blues, everything else was in heavy rotation for a couple of years solid.  Nice post though because a lot of this has melted into the past and doesn't get much airplay anymore - at least around these parts that's true.  And that's a shame because this holds up pretty well, even the I Want a New Drug/Ghostbusters rip-off still sounds good.

Thanks for this!

Welcome bro.

I think everyone owned this album back then. This got me on a huge Huey kick and I picked up all the previous albums, but none stacked up to this one. I like "Fore!" a lot as well, that one needs a remaster.

There's not a dud on this album, no filler either. Strong from top to bottom. I remember the first video that came out, "Heart And Soul" with the vampire and cute blonde. Whoa, watch out for the train!

Loved the pops at the beginning, and this sounded really good.

Trivia question! What two other groups recorded "Heart And Soul" before Huey Lewis & The News?

Had no idea Heart and Soul were previously recorded...

Yep, not a Huey original. Matter of fact, one of the versions was on a previous L/F post.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos