Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #137 TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - ECHO (DISCOVERING TOM PETTY - PART 15)

Artist: Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: Echo

Released:  April 13, 1999

Producer: Rick Rubin/Tom Petty/Mike Campbell

Singles: Free Girl Now/Room At The Top/Swingin'/This One's For Me/Accused Of Love

Song Of Week: Free Girl Now

Album Cover: 8/10

Facts (by Wikipedia)

1. Echo received Gold certification from the RIAA.

2. The album reached number 10 on the Billboard chart .  Of the five singles, none charted on the Billboard Top 200 or Hot 100.  They did chart on the Billboard U.S. Rock Chart.

3. This was the last album to feature contributions from long-time bass player Howie Epstien.  He died of a heroin overdose in 2003.

4. Echo is the only album to feature a lead vocal by someone other than Petty (Campbell on I Don't Wanna Fight).

5. Echo was also the band's last collaboration with Rick Rubin.

Observations (by RJhog)

1. This is another underrated Petty album full of terrific songs.

2.  The only song I remember hearing from this album is Swingin'.  

3.  My only complaint here is that the album is too long.  It's not like it's covered in filler or anything, but tracks 9, 11 and 12 could stand to be dropped.  Even then, the album would still run over 50 minutes. 

4. As usual, Mike Campbell lays down some nice guitar work here.

Ultimate Tom Petty Playlist (This Album): Room At The Top/Counting On You/Free Girl Now/Swingin'/Echo/Won't Last Long/One More Day, One More Night

1. Room At The Top

2. Counting On You

3. Free Girl Now

4. Lonesome Sundown

5. Swingin'

6. Accused Of Love

7. Echo

8. Won't Last Long

9. Billy The Kid

10. I Don't Wanna Fight

11. This One's For Me

12. No More

13. About To Give Out

14. Rhino Skin

15. One More Day, One More Night

Ultimate TP Playlist (Running List): Breakdown/The Wild One, Forever/Strangered In The Night/Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)/American Girl/Magnolia/I Need To Know/Refugee/Here Comes My Girl/Even The Losers/Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Don't Do Me Like That/You Tell Me/What Are You Doin' In My Life?/Louisiana Rain/The Waiting/A Woman In Love (It's Not Me)/Nightwatchman/Something Big/You Got Lucky/Deliver Me/Finding Out/We Stand A Chance/Straight Into Darkness/The Same Old You/A Wasted Life/Rebels/It Ain't Nothin' To Me/Don't Come Around Here No More/So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star/Insider/Southern Accents/Don't Bring Me Down/Jammin' Me/Runaway Trains/The Damage You've Done/Handle With Care/End Of The Line/Free Fallin'/I Won't Back Down/Love Is A Long Road/A Face In The Crowd/Runnin' Down A Dream/I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better/Yer So Bad/Depending On You/A Mind With A Heart Of It's Own/Learning To Fly/Into The Great Wide Open/All Or Nothin'/Out In The Cold/You Don't Know How It Feels/Time To Move On/Don't Fade On Me/Hard On Me/Casa Dega/Waiting For Tonight/Mary Jane's Last Dance/Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (Demo)/Walls (Circus)/Grew Up To Fast/Room At The Top/Counting On You/Free Girl Now/Swingin'/Echo/Won't Last Long/One More Day, One More Night

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I dunno, this really wasn't that good compared to previous TP albums. There were a few good tracks, #6 and 9 thru 12 but the rest they just seemed to be going thru the motions. I belive this album got some pretty bad reviews as well. And you're right, it IS way too long. Maybe it would have been better with 8-9 tracks, 15 is just overkill. 

So I listened and it won't be joining my library. Ah well, we're good for something here I suppose.

This is where it feels like he's just going through the motions.  I here a lot of the same style tune played out over and over on this one.  Still theres some cool tunes, ROOM AT THE TOP was a killer opener, that's a real cool tune!  And of the first 5 tunes theres no complaints, and then it just tapers off...  Echo was nice, This One's for me pretty solid, Rhino Skin was different in a good way, and there you have it!

8-9 solid tunes, drop the filler and were talking a different write up.  Not purchase write up, but more positive that's for sure.

And what's interesting is that I did peak at Jon's comments until half way through so the fact that I 809 were good has nothing to do with Jon, I'm quite sure the 8-9 I would pick are way better than those Jon picked out...

Say huh?

exactly!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos