Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 140 MEN AT WORK - CARGO (1983 - 30TH ANNIVERSARY)

Artist: Men At Work

Genre: New Wave

Country Of Origin: Australia

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Cargo

Released: June 28, 1983

Producer: Peter Mclan

Song Of The Week: No Sign Of Yesterday

Facts (by Wikipedia)

1. This is the second of only 3 studio releases for Men At Work.

2. The album reached number 3 on the U.S. chart while being certified Triple Platinum.

3. There were 4 Top 40 singles (Dr. Jeckyll And Mr. Jive #12/Overkill #3/It's A Mistake #27/High Wire #23) released from the album.

4. The album was remastered in 2003 and re-released with several bonus tracks, none of which you'll hear here.

Observations (by RJ)

1. The reason you won't hear the bonus tracks is that this is another vinyl rip.  I found it for a buck at the flea market.

2. I remember not being a fan of Men At Work back in the '80's.  

3. I find this much more interesting now.  I specifically remember the first two tracks from radio airplay, and although I don't remember the next three, they seem familiar for some reason.  

4. There's more geetar on this than I would have ever guessed (tracks 4, 5 and especailly 9 for example).

5. I'm not much of a reggae fan, but the song Blue For You is really cool.  I had a hard time deciding between it and No Sign Of Yesterday for the Song Of The Week.

1. Dr. Heckyll And Mr. Jive

2. Overkill

3. Settle Down My Boy

4. Upstairs In My House

5. No Sign Of Yesterday

6. It's A Mistake

7. High Wire

8. Blue For You

9. I Like To

10. No Restrictions

Views: 265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i kinda like Men At Work. I had their debut album, it was one of those albums I couldn't admit to liking. Never picked this one up though, have no idea why. And now....I can listen to the whole thing. WOW!

Your consistent at least....

Heres what RJ had to say when I posted a song from this album way back in SHT #52...

and I quote...

"7. Men At Work (0 points) Have never liked this band.

Interesting. Maybe he "matured".

Wow, that was a year and a half ago.  I must be a hidden gems kinda guy.  But seriously, like I said above, I was never much of a fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed this full album.

I like this album, always have.  In fact I like it better than their debut, its a smoother listen.  If you could subtract "Settle Down My Boy", and "I Like To" then it would be a perfect flow of music.  The two filler tracks aren't very good at all in comparison to the rest.  I looked them up and sure enough, they weren't written by Colin Hay who compositions were by far the best on each of their first two releases. 

They fell off the map with their 3rd album, which I've never heard.  This was a cool post and another great time of reflection for me...

Thanks!

I really liked this album, not as much as the first one since it didn't have a song about me, but liked it enough to want to purchase. The one track that threw me off was "Blue For You", kinda odd, but I kinda liked it with a second listen. "No Sign Of Yesterday is a really good song, I liked that a lot. Good stuff here!

Just found out that Cargo has been reissued on a new vinyl remaster. It forms a dual set that includes a free 12 inch of the song Blue for You, remastered from the original master tapes at Abbey Road. This free 12'' appears to be a tribute to the late Greg Ham and features a new interview with the bands Ron Strykert. Did some reading up on the mastering engineer of the 12'' and is Simon Gibson who did all the Beatles remastered albums and many other classic records. Well worth checking out! It's on pre-order More info here 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos