Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 143 VOLBEAT - GUITAR GANGSTERS & CADILLAC BLOOD (2008)

Artist: Volbeat

Genre: Rock/Heavy Metal/Punk/Rockabilly

Country Of Origin: Denmark

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood

Released: August 29, 2008

Producer: Jacob Hansen

Song Of The Week: Mary Ann's Place

I'm staying modern this week with a release from 2008.  Volbeat is a Danish band that I was turned on to by none other than resident Bottom Feeder Niels.  He posted their most recent album Beyond Hell/Above Heaven in NMC way back and I really liked it, so I picked it up.  More recently I've picked up this release as well as the previous release.  You definitely cannot describe this band as one dimensional.  There are a lot of elements at play.  Here's a couple of facts and or observations:

• This album is the band's third release and although it didn't chart in the U.S., it reached the top of the charts in Denmark (Wikipedia).
  • Seven of the songs share a lyrical theme that will be continued on future albums (Wikipedia).
  • Personally, I couldn't tell you which songs apply.  I did notice the "guitar gangsters" lyric a couple of times, so maybe that's it.
  • The flow of the first three songs is cool.  The intro, then into the heavy second track, and as that ends, the count off on the hi-hat that kicks off track three.
  • Track four is easily my favorite (but I really like the whole album).  The female voice (Pernille Rosendahl) is a very, very nice addition to this song.  You know how some female voices just make your ears perk up?  This one did it for me.  I would definitely like to hear more of it.
  • The Hank Williams cover totally rocks.
  • Lastly, the vocalist is pretty hard to understand due to the thick accent, but it doesn't bother me at all.  This band is awesome.
  • The best way to listen to this is to turn it way up.  I mean it.  Blow right passed 11 and treat your inner rocker.

1. Intro (End Of The Road)

2. Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood

3. Back To Prom

4. Mary Ann's Place

5. Hallelujah Goat

6. Maybellene I Hofteholder

7. We

8. Still Counting

9. Light A Way

10. Wild Rover Of Hell

11. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

12. A Broken Man And The Dawn

13. Find That Soul

14. Making Believe

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Eh. This got monotonous after awhile, the songs starting sounding the same. I also felt that I was in an Irish pub somewhere. While the geetars were fine, his singing got a bit grating, good thing there was a female vocalist...on one song. What would have made this album better was some accordion. Seriously. All songs here would have benefited with a healthy dose of accordion. Just listen and imagine an accordion spicing up the music.

Not horrible by any means, but not something I want.

I agree with Jon, that Volbeat sound's pretty much the same all the way through. The lead-singer, who actually IS Volbeat, is a big fan and is very much inspired by Metallica and Johnny Cash. I don't care much for all the "Whoa-Whoa-Whoa's", and he sings that a LOT. They are pretty big here in Denmark, but they have a dedicated special fan-base, who I don't think are that much interested in that kind of rock, that we love here at CRB. Don't you know those kind of people who  are very much in to Metallica, but they don't really care for classic rock, as much as they like Johhny Cash or even Michael Jackson or Country-music? I think it's great if you like Volbeat, RJhog, because YOU are a music/rock-fan, but in a way, IMO most of Volbeat's fan's don't have a clue about good music, the same way as most of Metallica's fan's are so much in to their band, that everything else sucks, except the new Lady Gaga-hit. Now, I don't say, that my taste of music is the right one, but there are some people who I rather discuss music with than others, and I know a few Volbeat-fan's, and they haven't got a clue about who Porcupine Tree or Alter Bridge are, or on which Led Zeppelin-album you'll find 10 years gone, but I'm sure they think, that the Black Album is THE best album ever, and they probably 've got tickets for the Bon Jovi-concert in June in Copenhagen, because Bon Jovi is also great music, right? Wrong!

The Volbeat-album that I posted in NMC a couple of years ago, I never listen to anymore, and I wouldn't buy another album by this band. This kind of music is very far from what I love to listen to right now, and I doubt, that I will ever be at some point in my life, where I will listen to a Volbeat-album voluntarily. 

Didn't I read somewhere, that a former member of Anthrax now is a member of Volbeat? And that there should be a new album released next month? 

Pernille Rosendahl is a very well-known singer in Denmark, and a former judge on X-factor, and she looks okay, if you ask me:

Well, I like 'em.   The album you introduced me to is my favorite, but I like this one as well.  I imagined Pernille with jet black hair.  So much for the imagination, huh?  Anyway, I will be purchasing their new album, so nobody should worry, it will appear in NMC eventually.

Yay?

Something like this? It's an album-cover from her current band, or duo, because it's only her and her husband:

She doesn't look at all like she does in that first pic.  I looked for this on Amazon and iTunes, but no luck.

I'm liking this so far myself. I thought the little intro and the first "real" track is very good. Track 3 did not hold my attention, but track 4 was a rocker, and I loved the closing section.

Thunderous, galloping main riff to track 5. But as I listen some more, I can see what Jon is saying. Track 6 starts off with a different pace, but when it picks up pace later on, it does sound a lot like some of the other tracks.

Now track 7 has a different feel to it. The vocals sound better to me on this track. Singing in a higher register. But yeah, quite a few "whoa's". But this is a good "change of pace" for the listen.

Track 8 has the nice reggae style intro, but when it changes, it loses something. I think this track would have been better without the harder middle section.

Overall, this is not bad, but it's not purchase material for me, at least not yet. The first half seems much stronger than the second half. But, if I were able to listen through a good stereo, really turned up, I might just change my mind. The lead vocals remind me of Danzig at times. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos