Artist: Winger

Genre: Hard Rock

Country Of Origin: USA

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: IV

Released: October 20, 2006

Producer: Kip Winger

Song Of The Week: Four Leaf Clover

Week before last I started a theme of albums from classic bands that were released in the 2000's.  I kicked it off with Europe's Secret Society from 2006. As I pick back up on that theme this week, you must endure one of my favorite bands.  It's the much maligned Winger.  Yes, I admit it (proudly), Winger is one of my favorite bands.  Most people are familiar with Winger as the pretty boy Hair Band from the late 80's.  Some even know that their third album, Pull (1993), is tremendous and light years beyond the power ballad friendly self-titled debut (Winger 1988) and In The Heart Of The Young (1990).  But for many, it ends right there.  After all, if Winger fell off of the map after their second album, they really fell off of the map after Pull.  

But, lucky for me, 13 years later the band released their fourth album and this week's Album Of The Week, entitled IV.  Here is a small amount of information I have about the album:

• IV is somewhat of a concept album, at least it sounds like one to me.  The concept revolves around the military, specifically it's involvement in the Middle East and the effects of military life on soldiers as well as American culture (the song Generica for example).  I think it's safe to say that this is some sort of political statement.
  • Reb Beach is fantastic (as always) on this album as is Kip Winger and Rod Morgenstein.
  • IV completely blows away Queensryche's military concept album in my eyes (or ears).
  • The descriptive depth of songs like Right Up Ahead and M16 really make me think about our military service men and women and the things they go through...for us.
  • I love the lyrical content of Blue Suede Shoes and Four Leaf Clover and the story that the songs convey.  These are two of my absolute favorite Winger songs.
  • The album cover was done by DC comic book artist Ethan Van Sciver, known for his artwork on titles such as Green Lantern, Flash, Superman & Batman too. (Wikipedia)
  • Although I don't own the Japanese version, I do have the acoustic version of Blue Suede Shoes (from Winger Live released in 2007).  It was included on that release as well, so I thought I'd include it here for all you Bottom Feeders to hear.
  • If I had one complaint it would be that Kip should have turned up the bass a little bit.  He's a great bass player.  If you listen closely, you'll hear it.  But we shouldn't have to strain to hear it.

1. Right Up Ahead

2. Blue Suede Shoes

3. Four Leaf Clover

4. M16

5. Your Great Escape

6. Disappear

7. On A Day Like Today

8. Livin' Just To Die

9. Short Flight To Mexico

10. Generica

11. Can't Take It Back

12. Blue Suede Shoes (Acoustic) - Japanese Bonus Track

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Winger is in the Rock and Roll HoF?

I was wondering if anybody read that stuff up there.  I guess so.

Of course, they aren't, but thanks for reading the whole thing.

Whew!!  I was about to go all "Eddie Trunk"!!!

This is one of those albums where I like it, but don't LIKE it. There's some really good trackes on here, "Blue Suede Shoes", "Livin' Just To Die", "Can't It Back" to name a few, but then there's "Generica" which just doesn't fit.

Also, the more I've heard, it sounds like Kip is straining to sing a bit. He sounds a bit ragged here and there. The musicianship is tight, but it's not as consistent a good listen as "Pull" or "Karma".

Fun fact: I saw these guys play live at a bowling alley in Omaha in support of their first album.

Everytime I hear about Winger, I always think about Beavis and Butthead teasing their schoolmate Stewart who wore the Winger t-shirt.  As I recall it, that was their way of making fun of them...

My brother picked up their debut album, which at the time was pretty cool.  Hair music was riding high (literally) and this band sounded like they fit right in.  I dug Seventeen the first few times I heard it.  But, it faded as quickly as it hit the music scene, and there was never another thought about them until I seen the t-shirt on Beavis and Butthead.

So onto this album..  I'm kind of in "eh" mode on this.  I don't hear anything unique or different.  I don't really care for his vocal style.  He sounds like he is straining with the higher notes.  This album wont do anything to change my mind, although I did enjoy the following tracks the most..

• Four Leaf Clover
  • Cant Take it Back

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos