Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #157 OZZY OSBOURNE - NO MORE TEARS (1991)

Artist: Ozzy Osbourne

Genre: Heavy Metal 

Country Of Origin: England

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes (with Black Sabbath)

Album: No More Tears

Released: September 17, 1991

Producer: Duane Baron/John Purdell

Best Single: No More Tears

Best Album Cut: Hellraiser

Additional Hidden Gems: None for me

Filler: Zombie Stomp/A.V.H.

Lyric Of The Week: "The wreckage of my past keeps haunting me" - Road To Nowhere

This week Jon and I are gonna start a trek through the '90's.  For the rest of the year, instead of a 30th anniversary album from '83 on the first week of the month, we're going with a 20th anniversary album from '93.  And we're both gonna spend the next few weeks revisiting that same period.  I'm kicking it off with the 1991 release from Ozzy Osbourne, No More Tears.

I can't say I love the album, but it's decent.  I actually liked it a good bit back when it was released.  The three big singles (Mama, I'm Coming Home/No More Tears/Time After Time) are all fantastic songs, but for me, there's just no real hidden gems here.  Here are a few nuggets about the album:

• No More Tears is Ozzy's sixth studio solo album and the second to feature Zakk Wylde on guitar.
  • It reached number 7 on the Billboard chart and has been certified 4XPlatinum by the RIAA.
  • Five singles were released.  Only two of those charted in the Top 100 (Mama, I'm Coming Home at #28 and No More Tears at #71).
  • Wikipedia says I Don't Want To Change The World won a Grammy.  I have not verified that info or for what Grammy category.
  • It is the last Ozzy album to feature the bass work and lyrics of Bob Daisley.  According to Wikipedia, Daisley's bass playing was kept for the album but any lyrical contributions were not used.
  • Ozzy's voice handles lead and backing vocals often.  And although it sounds great, it's something that can't be reproduced on stage.  
  • And lastly, the guitar work by Wylde is pretty dang good, especially on the last three tracks.  And two of those tracks made my "filler" list.  I personally think Zombie Stomp should have just been an instrumental, it would have been better.

1. Mr. Tinkertrain

2. I Don't Want To Change The World

3. Mama, I'm Coming Home

4. Desire

5. No More Tears

6. S.I.N.

7. Hellraiser

8. Time After Time

9. Zombie Stomp

10. A.V.H.

11. Road To Nowhere

Views: 200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This was the first "new" Ozzy-album, that I didn't buy. He made a big mistake by letting Jake E. Lee go. Zakk Wylde is a soul-less player. The new Sabbath-album may not be a master-piece, but it's better than this album. Good to hear Ozzy on a decent album again. It's been QUITE a while.

I'm not a very big Ozzy solo fan.  At all...  If I hear Crazy Train or Mama I'm Coming Home again it will be too soon, so I'm skipping the Mama tune for this listen...

So, I'm very shocked that I like this, Desire is a freaky good tune. Time After Time rang a bell in a good way.  I also didn't think Zombie Stomp was filler, I like a good instrumental every so often, and this one wasn't bad.   AVH, OK that can be the filler...

Road To Nowhere,. also rang a bell.  Nice!  This made me think twice about solo Ozzy...  Cool post!

This is my favorite Ozzy album by far. Never really got into anything before this or even after whole album-wise.

The first time I heard "No More Tears" I thought it was two separate songs. THought both songs were great back then, and now thing the one song is great, probably my favorite Ozzy song. 

Lemmy co-wrote three of the songs I think, Motorhead also covered "Hellraiser" on one of their albums.

Nice post, still enjoy this album to this day!

He co-wrote lyrics for 4 songs (I Don't Want To Change The World, Mama, I'm Coming Home, Desire and Hellraiser).

I was close!

Yep.  I didn't know that until I started writing this up...thank goodness for Wikipedia.

I've always enjoyed Ozzy's solo stuff...with Rhodes, Lee, or Wylde.

But, like Motley Crue, Ratt, and a few others, I honestly dont listen to it very much any more. Just heard it many times, and have enough other stuff that I just dont spin it very often any more. But I do think this is a great album, and one of Ozzy's best.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos