Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 159 STONE TEMPLE PILOTS - CORE (1992)

Artist: Stone Temple Pilots

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Core

Released: September 29, 1992

Producer: Brendan O'Brien

Best Single: Plush

Best Album Cut: Naked Sunday

Additional Hidden Gems: Dead And Bloated/Sin/Crackerman/Where The River Goes

Filler: None

Lyric Of The Week: "And I feel, so much depends on the weather, so is it raining in your bedroom? And I see, that these are the eyes of disarray, would you even care?" - Plush

Since we are touring the '90's, we must include the Stone Temple Pilots.  I see no better place to start than their debut, Core.  As psychotic as the frontman turned out to be, this band was outstanding.  Were they grunge?  Some say yes, some say no.  I say yes, but probably because of the era they were born in more than anything else.  They were much more radio friendly than the other big grunge bands (my opinion of course).  

Quite simply, this album is outstanding from top to bottom.  There's a short instrumental  (No Memory) and a strange interlude (Wet My Bed) that some may consider filler, but I like 'em.  Although Dead And Bloated and Crackerman were released as singles, neither charted, and I don't really recall either being played on the radio, so they land in the hidden gem bin.  Here are some facts and observations:

• Core reached the number 3 spot on the Billboard Albums chart.
  • It has been certified 8 X Platinum by the RIAA and is the band's best selling album.
  • According to Wikipedia, the band wanted to create an album that locked you in from the beginning to the end with a certain vibe, similar to what band's like Led Zeppelin had done in the past (I think they did a great job of this, as it's easy to listen to this whole album).
  • The album was released on the same day as Dirt by Alice In Chains.
  • Plush won the 1994 Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance.
  • STP won the Best New Artist award at the 1993 MTV Video Music Awards.
  • Robert DeLeo is a very underrated bassist.  Listen closely to the song Sin, you'll see what I mean.  Dean DeLeo (guitar) and Eric Kretz (drums) are outstanding as well.

Tracklisting (Singles marked with an asterisk):

1. Dead & Bloated *

2. Sex Type Thing *

3. Wicked Garden *

4. No Memory

5. Sin

6. Naked Sunday

7. Creep *

8. Piece Of Pie

9. Plush *

10. Wet My Bed

11. Crackerman *

12. Where The River Goes

...and here are a few of videos:

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought I had this album (don't know why) so for the second week in a row I'm forced to get off my ass and check out my collection and sho nuff, I have this. Again, I have no idea why I have this, it could have been a dollar CD found at a garage sale or something.

I do like "No. 4" which I really like, especially the song "Sour Girl" I just find it kinda trippy. Of course I have the greatest hits album, so maybe I'm covered with STP. 

WIth that out of the way, I kinda like this. Don't know if I would group this as grunge, but it always will be. It's better than Nirvana, but a pile of bear poo in the woods is better than Nirvana. Like STP less than AIC, but still have kinda a liking to them.

My initial dislike for STP could be that they were forced down our throats. Now that it's 20 years later and they're not being played on the radio 24/7 I guess I have more respect for 'em.

"Sin" is a really good song, there are parts that remind me of "Presence"/"In Through The Out Door"-era Zeppelin with the geetaring. The next song sucks though. Not a good song at all.

Good thing it picks up again after that song, "Piece Of Pie" is a really good rocking song.

Yeah. "Wet My Bed" is filler, but then it picks up again.

Ya know, except for a couple tracks this isn't too bad. Good purchase for a buck or so I think. Give me a week and I'll forget that I have this though. Such is life.

Love this album. Weiland is easily the best vocalist of the 90s. I've picked up all the STP albums and their first 2 are among the best of the decade as well. Your right about the bass work, and the riffs are strong as well. Wise choice this week! Very nice work RJ!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos