Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #165 PAT BENATAR - GRAVITY'S RAINBOW (1993 - 20TH ANNIVERSARY)

Artist: Pat Benatar

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Gravity's Rainbow

Released: May 24, 1993

Producer: Don Gehman/Neil Giraldo

Best Single: Somebody's Baby

Best Album Cut: Kingdom Key

Hidden Gems: Somebody's Baby/You & I/Disconnected/Sanctuary/Kingdom Key/Tradin' Down

Filler: Not a drop of filler here.

Tomorrow is First Friday, so it's time to post an album that is celebrating an anniversary.  This week's Album Of The Week is twenty years old.  And I'm willing to bet you've never heard it.  That's your mistake.  But I'm now presenting you with Gravity's Rainbow by Pat Benatar.  Here's your chance to rectify your mistake.  

There is not much information available on this album.  Here are a few tidbits and observations (facts taken from Wikipedia):

• Gravity's Rainbow is Benatar's 9th studio album and her last on the Chrysalis label.
  • It's Billboard chart peak was 85.
  • The album is named after the Thomas Pynchon novel of the same name, but has no other relation to it.
  • It has sold approximately 160,000 copies.
  • The album is now out of print, but you can pick up a used copy for just over 4 bucks.
  • The guitar playing is outstanding.  Giraldo is not a shredder, but his rhythm playing and picking are terrific.
  • I also love the drumming on this album.  It's not overstated.  The snare work is top notch.
  • And lastly, Benatar sounded phenomenal in 1993.

Track List (Singles Marked With Asterisk)

1. Pictures Of A Gone World

2. Everybody Lay Down *

3. Somebody's Baby *

4. Ties That Bind

5. You & I

6. Disconnected

7. Crazy *

8. Every Time I Fall Back *

9. Sanctuary

10. Rise (Part 2)

11. Kingdom Key

12. Tradin' Down

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a really good album, shame that it kinda fell by the wayside. Nice geetaring throughout, nothing flashy, but nice. Plus, Pat's voice is as good as ever. Really like this album, shame more people didn't buy it.

I'm a fan but this one got by me, I'm going to have to fix that!  I think we lost sight of Benatar when she went off her targeted path with True Love and Innamorata - and then this one slipped right by us...

Very nice release

I think Innamorata is every bit as good as this.

For some reason that didnt work for me, I may have t revisit it

Back then I thought "Innamorata" was too mellow, but I like it now.

When I saw the Benatar/Cheap Trick concert, she sang "True Love" and Neil Giraldo just blew me away with his geetar solo. I posted this a few years ago and think we should revisit it!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos