Classic Rock Bottom

I have a little bit different format for you this week.  I'm not really in the mood for a regular post, so this is what you get.  It's the debut album by the Progressive Metal band Cynthesis entitled DeEvolution.  This is album one of a trilogy that will be explained below.  I'm simply gonna copy/paste some info from the band's website.  Give it a try.  As far as I'm concerned, it's an okay listen.  Nothing earth shattering, but not bad at all.  And this will be a companion piece to my New Music Corner post of album two in the trilogy that has recently been released.

Cynthesis consists of:

Jasun Tipton | Guitars and Keys 
Troy Tipton | Bass 
Erik Rosvold | Vocals 
Sean Flanegan | Drums 

DeEvolution to ReEvolution Storyline: 

"... a shaman is someone who has been to the end, it's someone who knows how the world really works, and knowing how the world really works means to have risen outside, above, beyond the dimensions of ordinary space, time, and casuistry, and actually seen the wiring under the board, ... to yield systems of knowledge which can be brought back into ordinary social space for the good of the community..." Re-Evolution by Terence McKenna 

An elite group of leaders from a heavily industrialized city find, brainwash, and exploit an indigenous tribes shaman. Believing he would be the perfect supreme leader they prop him up as possessing all the answers to societies ills.  Religion, Media, Consumerism, and Government controls are all used to gain more influence over the masses.

The Man Without Skin

A man ventures out in search of help because his tribe is dying from a strange illness. One of the symptoms of the disease is that their skin becomes translucent and reveals their interior, especially the heart, which the elites are in essence lacking. Hence, "The Man Without Skin".  After many days of wandering  in search of help he falls exhausted at the gates of a large city. From there he is taken in and brainwashed by the elites.  "Please gods do not forget me , as I lie at the gates of the city, find me the will and the way to return".

Incision

The reprogramming begins.  "Sleep now sleep now our brother, dream deep eternal bliss, recount remember your future, open hands will turn to fists".

Divided Day

Religion - He is made to believe he is a saviour.  "I'm your life  I am your savior, always now and forever, I'm your life  I am your savior, do not think that you were never more than you were ever shown, so come in don't go out alone, follow me and you will see, I'll release the deity".

Shallow World

Media - All forms of media are used to bombard the masses in order to keep them entertained while the elites go about their deeds unseen.  "We'll keep your attracted to all our distractions, erasing any doubts and crushing all factions, so become a heathen within our new heaven, no need to ever think as to what it all may mean".

Profits of Disaster

Consumerism - By promoting the need for always wanting more will keep the masses in a senseless cycle: work to buy, work even more to buy even more etc.  "So by and by you will buy into a slow motion suicide, obsessed with your possessions addicted to your pretensions, would you trade your life for just one dime?".  "Filling every room, over-filled with your pride , you want to take it all, still more lacks inside".

The Edifice Grin

Government - The idea that those who are in power know what is best for all; therefore, they are permitted to use any form of deception for their schemes.  "When a cloak conceals a dagger, when a smile hides malaise, we solidify our future shrouded in a haze".  "Once they've served their usefulness we will quickly discard, dealing them a losing hand while we held the winning card".

Twilight
 (instrumental)

A Song of Unrest
He is sent out to gather more recruits, more of his same kind, to further their grand endeavor.  He eventually finds himself back with his own tribe and realizes:  "I came to enslave them, came to enslave them all but I felt my voice uncertain then heard the elders call.  We now stand together our mission takes its form, I hear the winds unfolding, the calm before the storm".
_______

He takes them all back to the city to avenge those who had caused the suffering and to set the enslaved free.

Divine Night

The journey back to the city.  "May the shadows fall and so display, a righteous path and show us the way".

Convergence
 (instrumental)

The Grand Facade

They scale the cities walls.  Within they witness the oppressed masses of "porcelain women and mannequin men" who follow a "straight and narrow course, not by willing but by force".

A Most Trivial Pursuit

A key is handed to him by one of the oppressed in the line, "the one with lucid eyes".  Upon seeing this the others break rank and pursue the tribe.  In the resulting melee he finds himself at a door.  
"Now I'm at the door I feel as if I've been here before.  Angels sin for me, if beyond lies the answer I hold the key".

Persistence Of Visions

He opens the door to find a hallway filled with immense screens outlining  plans for the populace.  Realizing he was made a frontman for their schemes he smashes them to pieces. In doing so a chamber is revealed.  "Through shattered glass he will pass, phantasms meet your iconoclast".

The Noble Lie

"Four figures appear before me, four to rule over the innocent".  He poses a series of questions to them and in the end: "I touch them, tear off their shrouds, each face a state of my being and each one falls to the ground".

Release The Deity

"From a prisoner to a prophet as a prophet I return".  
Now knowing the essence of his origin he transforms into a being of light.

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The lead singer sounds like Greg Lake.

This is all over the board. This will probably be a very difficult album for some people to get into because of the constant changes, not just between the songs, but the changes within each song. There's also a lot of background  sound effects, almost like Pink Floyd. What I like is the geetaring, there's different  geetaring styles throughout. Heavy, mellow, shredding..it's basically all there. 

This is something you need to listen to more than once to catch everything. SO, if you don't want it, send it my way. I'll trade you a brand spankin' new live Dokken CD!

If I send it, could you just punch me instead of giving me the Dokken CD?

Dokken... I had some witty comment ready until I noticed my iPad tried to autocorrect that to Fokker...

But..it's LIVE!

Can you imagine the studio wizardry it took to get them just to sound crappy! Now you want to unfilter all that work to expose the real Fokker...errr,I mean Dokken? Oh wait, nevermind even live albums aren't live anymore...,

I definitely don't dislike Dokken, but I have zero interest in hearing them live.

But...it's LIVE. And still WRAPPED!

I'm gonna post the first 5 songs from the follow-up in NMC.  Hopefully tonight.

I almost just bought this for around $4.50, but didn't. Go to gohastings.com, 45% off used cd's if you use the code CELEBRATEGOODTIMES. I just picked up 6 cd's for $13.64 which ain't too bad in my book.

Nice deal.  Speaking of prices, have you noticed the price increases on Amazon?  Especially stuff that used to be 4.99.

They fluctuate. Steely Dan cd's have been running around $4.99, they sometimes bump up the price and then lower a different album or two. Are there others that have jumped up a lot?

Supertramp, The Cars.  A couple of dollars, but still.  I put an old Soundgarden in my wish list the other day and two days later it was up about 2 bucks.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos