Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #183 UFO - OBSESSION (35TH ANNIVERSARY - 1978)

Artist: UFO

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: Great Britain

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Obsession

Meet The Band: Phil Mogg (Vocals)/Michael Schenker (Guitar)/Paul Raymond (Rhythm Guitar/Keyboards/Vocals)/Pete Way (Bass)/Andy Parker (Drums)

Producer: Ron Nevison

Best Songs: Only You Can Rock Me/Ain't No Baby/Lookin' Out For No. 1/Cherry/You Don't Fool Me/One More For The Rodeo/Born To Lose

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from wikipedia.com unless otherwise noted.

I guess since I've been torturing Jon and Scott by posting Springsteen and Bon Jovi in two of the last three weeks that I'll make 'em quite happy this week.  Yep, instead of Poison, your Album Of The Week is Obsession by UFO.  I will once again say I'm quite new to UFO. The first album by them I bought was the most recent, Seven Deadly.  I've gone back and picked up a box set from the early years and now I want more.  This is great stuff.

It's just straight forward rock.  Vocalist Mogg has a distinct voice (especially now that he's much older).  And do I need to even mention the guitar playing here?  I don't think so. Like I said earlier, every time I hear a UFO album I want to strengthen my collection.  I have six studio albums now, but as soon as I get my Amazon cards for Christmas, I have two 5 album box sets lined up to purchase, which would only leave me 5 studio albums short of the entire catalog.  

Enough about me, go get this album if you don't already have it.  It's fantastic from start to finish.

1. Only You Can Rock Me

2. Pack It Up (And Go)

3. Arbory Hill

4. Ain't No Baby

5. Lookin' Out For No. 1

6. Hot 'n' Ready

7. Cherry

8. You Don't Fool Me

9. Lookin' Out For No. 1 (Reprise)

10. One More For The Rodeo

11. Born To Lose

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ahh, yes. "Obsession". The album cover that caused Michael Schenker to ask "Why am I the one without balls?"

This is an awesome album. Anyone that doesn't have it needs to go out an BUY IT NOW. Probably my second favorite UFO album. Definitely better than that heaping pile o' crap that was posted last week.

How many bands can you name that had 6 in a row this strong?

• Phenomenon
  • Force It
  • No Heavy Petting
  • Lights Out
  • Obsession
  • Strangers in the Night

Fighting, Jailbreak, Johnny The Fox, Bad Reputation, Live And Dangerous, Black Rose?

ok, name two!

PS:  TL had more than 6 in a row coutning their debut, Shades of Blue Orphanage and Night Life, then your 6 and then Renegade and Thunder and Lightning

DOH!  forgot to mention Vagabonds of the Western World...  it has one my all time fave TL tracks "The Rocker"...

I kept it to 6 since that's what you requested. Plus, you can add Noplace To Run, The Wild, The Willing And The Innocent & Mechanix to UFO.

Add ANOTHER?

2112, A Farwell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures & Signals. Go ahead if you want to toss in the two live albums, I'm not big into live albums in general.

How about another fom Opeth?

Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation, Ghost Reveries, Watershed, Heritage

I doubt Opeth would be on mine or Scott's list (although Heritage was good).

Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Alive!, Destroyer, Rock And Roll Over.

Van Halen, Van Halen II, Women And Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984.

Opeth who?  Have nothing from them in my collection...  But I do have to agree with the original 6 from KISS (7 counting Alive!), good stuff!!  Though one may argue that Diver Down is more of a covers album, if you look passed that, then VH had a nice run as well...

I had no problem with DD.  Although I would rank it at number 6 of the original 6.  

Now, back to Obsession...Do you guys have any favorite tracks?  What would you pull from this album for a greatest hits playlist (be reasonable, can't pull every song)?

Only You Can Rock Me, Pack It Up (And Go), Arbory Hill, Cherry, Born To Lose

• Only You Can Rock Me
  • Pack It Up
  • Hot 'N' Ready
  • Cherry

Arbory Hill isn't really a "song"

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members