Classic Rock Bottom

Artist: ZZ Top

Genre: Blues Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes (2004)

Album: Tres Hombres

Meet The Band: Billy Gibbons (Vocals, Guitar)/Dusty Hill (Bass, Keyboards, Vocals)/Frank Beard (Drums)

Producer: Bill Ham

My Favorite Tracks: Waitin' For The Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago/Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers/Master Of Sparks/La Grange/Sheik

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from wikipedia.com unless otherwise noted.

ZZ Top has never been much more than a blip on my radar.  Maybe that's me being short sighted.  I have picked up a total of 6 ZZ Top albums in the last couple of years, including Tres Hombres, which is this week's Album Of The Week.  I really haven't spent any time listening to them, but I definitely enjoyed this one.  The guitar playing is terrific and I even recognized 3 songs that are always coming on the radio (Waitin' For The Bus, Jesus Just Left Chicago and La Grange).  La Grange may very well be my favorite ZZ Top song.  If I had one complaint, it would probably be Gibbons' vocals.  They aren't good, however, they are unique and part of what makes many folks fans of the band.  Here is some useless info regarding the album, which I'm pretty sure I picked up at Wally World for 5 dollars:

• Tres Hombres is Spanish for "three men".
  • This is the band's third album.
  • La Grange was the only single, reaching number 41 in the U.S.
  • During the band's most successful period, the album was remixed and released on CD.  This version sounded significantly different, especially the drums, which caused controversy among ZZ Top fans. It was finally remastered and released with bonus tracks in 2006, restoring the original mix finally.
  • The 2006 version is what we have here, minus the bonus tracks.
  • The album reached number 8 on the U.S. charts and is certified Gold by the RIAA.
  • In 2012, Tres Hombres ranked number 490 on Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time list.

Side One:

1. Waitin' For The Bus

2. Jesus Just Left Chicago

3. Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers

4. Master Of Sparks

5. Hot, Blue And Righteous

Side Two:

6. Move Me On Down The Line

7. Precious And Grace

8. La Grange

9. Shiek

10. Have You Heard?

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Early ZZTop totally kicks ass. Billy Gibbons, and his 1959 Gibson Les Paul, kick ass. He calls "her" (the guitar) "Pearly Gates", and he could probably sell her for 6 figures if he wanted too. Don't know about their last release "La Futura", but up until that point, Reverend Billy had never used anything but that Les Paul in the studio. Every single note, on every single album. Even though he has an unreal guitar collection.

A few years ago, Gibson started making and selling "re-issues" of that one Les Paul. Built to the exact specifications of that '59 model...including the nicks and dings on the guitar. So, it was a brand new guitar you could buy, but it came with the nicks and dings!! How's that for selling guitar replicas? I believe the asking price upon release of these new/old Les Pauls was right around $15,000. DAMN!!

I totally dig the vocals, as well. Check out the harmonies on "Hot, Blue And Righteous"....killer. It's a slow, blues tune, and its great. "Beer Drinkers" has some of the best lead guitar grooves laid down anywhere by anybody. GREAT PICK!!

ZZ Top was a big influence of mine because of my older brothers record collection.  He had pretty much all of their early work, this one got lots of airplay.

Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers has been on SHT before and still is my favorite cut off the album.

Seen this band live twice, each time was a treat and I wouldn't pass up a chance to see them again...

This is ok, sometimes the vocals are a little weak, but the geetar makes up for it. I'd heard of ZZ Top, but didn't really listen to them until Eliminator. They're fun to listen to, but they're really not in heavy rotation for me. I'll occasionally grab one to listen to. Thanks to the Wally World $5 bin, I was able to pick up some of their early stuff last year. See? They are good for something!

My favorite ZZ Top album.

Like Jon, my first ZZ Top-album was Eliminator. But I like their old stuff as well. Billy Gibbons is very cool, and I love his guitarsound. As with all Blues, I like it for a little while, and then I get extremely bored. But this is a pretty good album. It's cool, that a band of 3, had 2 pretty good singers.
I saw ZZ Top live at an outdoor-concert in '91, and they were absolutely great.

News flash on Billy Gibbon's 1959 Gibson Les Paul, affectionately known as "Pearly Gates". Yesterday, I was in a guitar shop, and the owner and I were talking, and he points out this small picture he has taped up on one of his walls.

I go take a closer look, and it's a picture of that very guitar, and it reads that Billy Gibbons has been offered 5 MILLION DOLLARS for that guitar. FIVE MILLION!!! (Yes, I'm yelling!! ). I had put "in the 6 figures". Shows you what I dont know!

And oh by the way...at least for now....Mr. Gibbons declined to sell the guitar.

So your offer was turned down? Bummer. You can send me a million, just as a "thank you" for nothing.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos