Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 190 JOHN COUGAR - AMERICAN FOOL (1982)

Artist: John Cougar

Genre: Singer Songwriter/Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes (2008)

Album: American Fool

Producer: John Mellencamp/Don Gehman

RJ's Top 5 Tunes: 1. Hand To Hold On To...2. Hurts So Good...3. Danger List...4. Jack & Diane...5. China Girl

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from wikipedia.com unless otherwise noted.

Disclaimer #2:  I'm on an 80's kick for the next 10 weeks.  I'm covering an 80's album from each year of the 80's decade, though not in chronological order.  Some of these may be well known to me, some may not be.  But they were all pretty big sellers that left a mark. Out of these ten, I actually had to purchase two of them to feature them here.  I think Scott and Jon are along for the 80's ride as well, maybe.

In our continuing run through the 80's, this week we have American Fool from 1982. This album was Mellencamp's fifth studio album and it turned out to be his commercial breakthrough. Of course, he was John Cougar back then. And we all remember that his name changed several times.  

The album wasn't easy to make, as you can see from the following Wikipedia quote:

Producer Don Gehman stated in a 2011 interview that "American Fool" “was fraught with layers of problems. We had 20 or so songs, we had a record company that was hoping we were making a Neil Diamond‑type album, and after we spent two or three months in the studio recording these songs and mixing them to the best of our ability, I can remember an A&R guy in a pink shirt coming in to listen to them and basically thinking we had nothing. At that point, they put a stop to the project. We had ‘Jack & Diane,’ we had ‘Hand To Hold On To,’ we had ‘Weakest Moments’ — we had some good songs — and while I don’t know the precise nature of the discussions that took place, Riva went from wanting to get a new producer to not even wanting John on the label anymore. Finally, they came around to letting us finish it but wanting to hear the new songs we were going to cut.”

• American Fool was Mellencamp's first number one album.
  • It is certified 5 X Platinum by the RIAA.
  • Four singles were released from the album (Hurts So Good/Jack & Diane/Thundering Hearts/Hand To Hold On To).
  • Jack & Diane reached number 1.  This would be his only number 1 hit in the U.S.
  • Hurts So Good climbed to number 2, Hand To Hold On To reached the 19th spot, while Thundering Hearts failed to chart.
  • According to Wikipedia, American Fool was the best selling album of 1982.

What do I think?  I think it's okay, not great.  Side one is better that side two.  But hey, I picked this up from Walmart's five dollar bin, and it's the remastered version with the bonus track, so it's still a worthy investment. So give it a listen and tell me what you think of it.

1. Hurts So Good

2. Jack & Diane

3. Hand To Hold On To

4. Danger List

5. Can You Take It

6. Thundering Hearts

7. China Girl

8. Close Enough

9. Weakest Moments

10. American Fool (Bonus Track)

Views: 341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Man, I hated this album when I first listened to it. Hated it so much, I swore I would never buy a John Mellencamp Cougar Johnny Cougar Melonhead album ever again. And then came Uh-Huh.

I thought Asia was the #1 for '82?

That tidbit came directly from Wikipedia.  We know it's never inaccurate.  

Yeah, they're wrong. Imagine that! Maybe they meant "the #1 overplayed video on MTV".

If Jack and Diane came on the radio right now it would be too soon for me. That said, the rest of this Album is stellar! Great work from Johnny Cougar, John Cougar, John Cougar Mellencamp, John Mellencamp. Whoever he is... Strangely the title track was missing from the original release...

I love the first three tracks as they are the classic numbers. But I don't think I've ever heard the whole album.

Here's your chance...

Interesting. This was much better than I remembered. Actually, after the fourth song, I remember nothing of this album. I must have played this once and filed it away.The second half of this album is pretty darn rocky, much rockier that I can(not) remember. The bonus track really isn't that good, I can see why it was left off the album, but it's showing up as the 9th track?

Surprisingly decent, but nowhere close to the Uh Huh awesomeness. Nice post!

Uh Huh is really good and by far his best.  This album is easily worth the 5 bucks...

Disagree. Scarecrow.
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos