Classic Rock Bottom

Artist: The Church

Genre: Alternative Rock

Country Of Origin: Australia

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Starfish

Producer: Greg Ladanyi/Waddy Wachtel/The Church

RJ's Top 5 Tunes: 1. Under The Milky Way...2. Reptile...3. Destination...4. Blood Money...5. Hotel Wound

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from wikipedia.com unless otherwise noted.

Disclaimer #2:  I'm on an 80's kick for the next 10 weeks.  I'm covering an 80's album from each year of the 80's decade, though not in chronological order.  Some of these may be well known to me, some may not be.  But they were all pretty big sellers that left a mark. Out of these ten, I actually had to purchase two of them to feature them here.  I think Scott and Jon are along for the 80's ride as well, maybe.

This is our next to last week in this 80's run.  It's been a lot of fun.  Your Album Of The Week is Starfish by The Church.  Here are some fun facts regarding the album:

• Starfish was the band's fifth album.
  • It reached number 41 on the Billboard chart and attained a Gold certification from the RIAA.
  • The album featured four singles (Antenna was a single in Spain only). 
  • Under The Milky Way was the only single to chart in the us (#24).  Neither Reptile nor Destination charted.
  • Two songs from the album were featured on the show Miami Vice (Under The Milky Way and Blood Money).
  • Under The Milky Way was also featured in the movie Donnie Darko.

I have totally loved the song Under The Milky Way since this album was released.  As a matter of fact, it's the only song from the album I had ever heard until a couple of years ago.  A friend named Michael Andrade played Reptile on a podcast that he did and I heard it and really, really liked it.  Then I found out it was on the same album as Under The Milky Way, so I finally picked up the album.  I like it.  I wouldn't say it's great from start to finish, but when it's good, it's really good.  I could listen to the top 3 tracks I listed above any time.  Under The Milky Way is one of the most atmospheric, moody songs I have ever heard.  It definitely resides in my top 10-15 songs of all-time.  

1. Destination

2. Under The Milky Way

3. Blood Money

4. Lost

5. North, South, East and West

6. Spark

7. Antenna

8. Reptile

9. A New Season

10. Hotel Womb

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While this isn't bad, it's very monotonous. All the songs sound the same, they're all filled with angst and are all "poor poor pitiful me". Sometimes the geetar breaks out, but the vocalist sounds basically the same on every song, no emotion. Reminds me a bit of Depeche Mode, but heavier. 

Interesting post, but definitely not my bag.

so...  what your saying is that this is like the Smitherweenies before taking antidepression medication

Worse.

The band sounds familiar in name, seems like they were a fringe band for a few years but never really broke through. 

• The opening track was fairly nice although it has a weird monotone vibe to it, but it worked for some weird reason - quirky good!
  • Under The Milky Way didn't ring any bells for me until it started playing - I think about the loveless fascination...  Deja-Vu moment...  Way Cool tune!
  • I can start to hear the vocal sameness that Jon talked about in track 3...  Still there is something redeeming in the music, its still interesting.
  • Lost is the first real misstep on the album, not a very good track...
  • N,S,E and W started poorly got more interesting around the 2:20 mark and then faded back into boredom.
  • Finally, A New Season helps regain my interest
  • This really should have been a 5 song EP the music never got back on track after track until A New Season  and Hotel Womb played.

This band seems little out of place in 1988, in my mind they would have fit better early in the decade, say 82-84 when the new wave movement was stronger (IMO).  Still its a good post and I enjoyed the beginning and the end, the middle not so much...

Good work boss!!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos