Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 197 FAITH NO MORE - THE REAL THING (1989)

Artist: Faith No More

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: U.S.

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: The Real Thing

Producer: Matt Wallace/Faith No More

RJ's Top 5 Tunes: 1. From Out Of Nowhere...2. Epic...3. The Real Thing...4. The Morning After...5. Falling To Pieces

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from wikipedia.com unless otherwise noted.

Disclaimer #2:  I'm on an 80's kick for the next 10 weeks.  I'm covering an 80's album from each year of the 80's decade, though not in chronological order.  Some of these may be well known to me, some may not be.  But they were all pretty big sellers that left a mark. Out of these ten, I actually had to purchase two of them to feature them here.  I think Scott and Jon are along for the 80's ride as well, maybe.

As we close out the 80's series, which I have thoroughly enjoyed, we do so with Faith No More.  It's their 1989 album The Real Thing.  The one that spawned their breakthrough hit Epic.  

• The Real Thing has been certified Platinum by The RIAA.
  • It reached number 11 on the U.S. chart.
  • From Out Of Nowhere and Edge Of The World were released as singles but failed to chart.
  • Falling To Pieces scraped inside the Top 100 at number 92.
  • Epic was a Top 10 hit, reaching the 9th spot.
  • This was Mike Patton's first album with the band.
  • The video for Epic was shown frequently on MTV.  It also felt heat from animal rights activists due to the fish flopping out of water.

This is one of two Faith No More albums that I own.  I think it's good, but I wouldn't say great.  I think the bass playing on the album is really good.  My biggest problem with it would probably be Patton's vocals at times.  His voice can get really annoying.  But at times he sounds good.  Go figure.  Anyway, enough about what I think, what do you think?

1. From Out Of Nowhere

2. Epic

3. Falling To Pieces

4. Surprise! You're Dead!

5. Zombie Eaters

6. The Real Thing

7. Underwater Love

8. The Morning After

9. Woodpecker From Mars

10. War Pigs

11. Edge Of The World

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Back then I really didn't like this, I really hated the whole Rock and Rap merger.  And while I have softened on that a bit the song Epic still doesn't work for me. 

This will all be new to me...

It's really just that one song.

Killer Sabbath cover as well.....

I think, that "Epic" was the first time, that "Rock and Rap merger"-thing really worked. I never cared for Rap AT ALL, but sometimes it works, and "Epic" is an awesome track.

The following FNM-album, was the best one they ever made. Then it went straight downhill.

I never get tired of this album. There's not a bad track. It is a lengthy album, but it never drags. Plus one of the song titles mentions zombies which is always a good thing. 

So, they were the next big thing. There was a lot of hype surrounding "Angel Dust", I remember the album cover plastered over the windows of record stores with the release date. It was going to be BIG.

And then the album came out and people were freaking out because they just didn't get it. It wasn't "The Real Thing: Part 2". It was different. It was almost unlistenable. Maybe they listened to it once and then sold it for crack or credit, who knows. 

But "Angel Dust" is a great album. It might take a few listens, but it's amazing. I'm glad they didn't do a part 2, instead going for what they wanted. Fan-wise and sales-wise it might not have been the best approach, but at least they stuck to their guns. I also like the 2 albums that came out after that, they're not for everyone, but they're pretty damn good.

Nice post!        

I remember when this album first came out. I thought it was totally original and loved it.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos