Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 199 TESLA - FIVE MAN ACOUSTICAL JAM (1990)

Artist: Tesla

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: U.S.

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Five Man Acoustical Jam

Producer: Dan McClendon

RJ's Top 5 Tunes: 1. Paradise...2. Heaven's Trail (No Way Out)...3. Before My Eyes...4. The Way It Is...5. We Can Work It Out

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from wikipedia.com unless otherwise noted.

Disclaimer 2: Foul language is present on this album.  Use head phones.

I don't choose many live albums for Album Of The Week, but I'm throwing one atcha this week.  It's Tesla's live album Five Man Acoustical Jam.  Released back in 1990, it's really the first acoustic live album that I remember.  There isn't a lot in Wikipedia regarding the album, but here's what I have for you. 

• Five Man Acoustical Jam is certified Platinum by the RIAA.
  • The album reached number 12 on the Billboard Top 200 chart.
  • Two singles were released.  Signs reached number 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, with Paradise not appearing on that chart.
  • The album contained five covers.
  • It was recorded live in Philadelphia at the Trocadero Theatre.

From what I can remember, this album preceded the many MTV Unplugged acoustic releases.  And I remember Signs getting a lot of airplay.  I'm totally cool with the covers (I really like We Can Work It Out and Lodi), but I'm mostly disappointed by the inclusion of the last two tracks.  To me, those are a waste of space.  I would have much rather heard Little Suzi, 2 Late 4 Love and Changes from Mechanical Resonance.  

The bottom line is that the vocal performance and the acoustical musical performance on this album is fabulous.  The only acoustic live album that tops this for me is the Kiss MTV Unplugged album.  As far as live albums go, this is a must own.

1. Comin' Atcha Live/Truckin'

2. Heaven's Trail (No Way Out)

3. The Way It Is

4. We Can Work It Out

5. Signs

6. Gettin' Better

7. Before My Eyes

8. Paradise

9. Lodi

10. Mother's Little Helper

11. Modern Day Cowboy

12. Love Song

13. Tommy's Down Home

14. Down Fo' Boogie

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If we listen to this now, can we get an exception to include it on our lists for the May challenge?  Need a ruling...

Not unless somebody in the band is dead, 'cause it doesn't fit any of the other categories.

we removed the Live album category?  I'm behind on that thread, couldnt take all the whining.

This is a great live CD, and I liked "Tommy's Down Home", though I agree about "Down Fo' Boogie".

It was definitely one of the standard bearer live acoustic albums when that particular genre started becoming big.

I like long albums but I don't like albums that drag, which this does. I have nothing against Tesla, like them quite a bit, but got tired of "Signs" very quickly when it was first released and and really, really tired of it now. After the first couple songs, this turned into background music while I was working on stuff. I thought it was almost over but when I checked, I saw there were six more songs.

I appreciate the effort they made into doing this, but I just don't see what's so extraordinary about it. For the most part, it's quite boring. 

I started pickin' through this on Friday.  I remember how trail blazing this really was when it came out.  The first time I recall it ever being done, the unplugged thing that is...  It was very successful for them as well as it was all over radio.  But it doesn't hold up as well...  I really don't like the treatment given to Modern Day cowboy, they made it boring in my opinion.  And your right about that last track.  It was probably a ton of fun live, but it should have been left on the cutting room floor.

All that said that still leaves 12 really nice songs!  And for a live album that's really strong.  But like back then when I decided to bypass this as a purchase, that is still my choice today.  Still a nice post...

I totally agree with you regarding Modern Day Cowboy.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos