Classic Rock Bottom

Artist: America

Genre: Folk Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: America

Producer: Ian Samwell/Jeff Dexter

RJ's Top 5 Tunes: 1. Sandman...2. Rainy Day...3. A Horse With No Name...4. Riverside...5. Here

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from wikipedia.com unless otherwise noted.

I have more vinyl for you this week.  This will also fulfill an album for the May Music Challenge if needed.  It is the self-titled debut from America.  Here are some nuggets:

• The album reached the top spot on the U.S. Billboard Chart.
  • It has been certified Platinum in the U.S. and in Canada.
  • A Horse With No Name was a number one hit in the U.S. and is a Gold certified single.
  • The other single, I Need You, reached the ninth position.
  • Sandman was the b-side for A Horse With No Name.  It gets airplay as well.
  • A Horse With No Name was not on the original release.  It was recorded in 1972 and after it broke, the album was re-released with that song included (this is the version I have).

So there you have it.  This is a splendid acoustic album.  I mean splendid.  If you like acoustic guitar work, you should enjoy this album.  The vocals are top notch as well. This is one I'd like to find in a remastered format.  It can be purchased for less than 8 bucks new on Amazon, but I'm not sure if that is remastered.

Side One:

1. Riverside

2. Sandman

3. Three Roses

4. Children

5. A Horse With No Name

6. Here

Side Two:

7. I Need You

8. Rainy Day

9. Never Found The Time

10. Clarice

11. Donkey Jaw

12. Pigeon Song

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should of told us you were posting this before we finished the "Listen to 5 albums from a group where at least one band member died (courtesy Scott B.)**" category...  Oh well, Im adding it as a bonus ...

This is a great album.  I love this band.  I think their greatest hits album has sold like a zillion, but while that's good for them there's a whole generation or two, or three that miss out on albums like this. 

Riverside is very CSN-like if you weren't paying attention closely you'd never know the difference.  Sandman is still cool!

Three Roses!  Oh my, how long has it been?  Its so nice to hear you again!  This could be thrown into the mix of their best and fit right in.

Children is a nice tune as well. Followed by the massive Horse With No Name... 

Here, is really cool.  Acoustic work is stellar on this one!  I Need You kicks off the slow burn of the final tunes.  All of which are quite cool.  Hey what would happen if the Horse with no name carrying the Pigeon named Fred who was shot in the head met the Raven that couldn't sing?  hmm....  Sounds very quiet to me.

These are the types of albums that I would love to see released as Deluxe Editions ...  Some of your best work Boss!! I'm noting this as my fave AOTW so far!

Of course he listened to this. It starts with the letter "A", not "G".

When I'm in a mellow mood, I like America. I must be in a mellow mood because I really like this. I like it so much I am going to buy the original album series set with the first five America albums. Of course I do have a greatest hits disc, but now I just want more albums. But one of those albums has "Tinman" on it which makes me feel really weird for some reason. I don't know if something happened in the 70's that I've kept hidden, something that happened while that song was playing, but it makes me feel really, really odd. But, maybe it's nothing and the song just makes me feel weird.

Other than that, I really like this. I already said that, but it's true. Imagine that.   

Heard Tinman on the radio this morning.  I've been eyeing that set as well.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos