Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 204 BLUE OYSTER CULT - SPECTRES (1977)

Artist: Blue Oyster Cult

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Spectres

Producer: Murray Krugman/Sandy Pearlman/David Lucas/Blue Oyster Cult

RJ's Top 5 Tunes: 1. Golden Age Of Leather...2. Death Valley Nights...3. Godzilla...4. Nosferatu...5. I Love The Night

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from wikipedia.com unless otherwise noted.

Okay, my vinyl kick is over (for now).  This week I have Spectres by Blue Oyster Cult for you. I must say, BOC is a new discovery for me.  Of course I've heard the big hits, but now I have the complete albums box set, which is where this comes from.  And I am definitely into this band right now.  About this album:

• Spectres peaked at number 43 on the U.S. charts.
  • It is certified Gold by the RIAA.
  • It appears as though there were 3 singles released (Goin' Through The Motions/Godzilla/I Love The Night).  But I'm not sure about this, because the same article lists Don't Fear The Reaper as a single from Spectres, but it was on the previous album.  Either way, I don't think there was much (if any) chart action from these songs.
  • Godzilla is a classic rock radio staple.
  • Goin' Through The Motions was covered by Bonnie Tyler on her album Faster Than The Speed Of Night.

This is a cool album.  I will say it's front-loaded, with side one being very strong.  One thing I've noticed while listening to this album as well as others from the box set is how great the guitar playing is.  I've just never given BOC a chance before, and I'll admit that has been a mistake.  Yep, some of their songs are weird or have really weird titles, but who cares?  Just listen.  

Side One:

1. Godzilla

2. Golden Age Of Leather

3. Death Valley Nights

4. Searchin' For Celine

5. Fireworks

Side Two:

6. R.U. Ready 2 Rock

7. Celestial The Queen

8. Goin' Through The Motions

9. I Love The Night

10. Nosferatu

2007 CD Reissue Bonus Tracks

11. Night Flyer

12. Dial M For Murder

13. Please Hold

14. Be My Baby (The Ronettes Cover)

Views: 133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This isn't about your box set and newfound BOC love...  No...  This is an advertisement for the Godzilla premier this weekend. 

You getting some kick back on this one?

It's all about the payout!

Gee. Wiki was wrong. Imagine that.

"It appears as though there were 3 singles released (Goin' Through The Motions/Godzilla/I Love The Night).  But I'm not sure about this, because the same article lists Don't Fear The Reaper as a single from Spectres, but it was on the previous album.  Either way, I don't think there was much (if any) chart action from these songs."

This is my least favorite BOC* album and I really don't know exactly why. Kicks off great with "Godzilla" (btw, Bryan Cranston's character dies in the movie, at least one person is stomped on, the Golden Gate Bridge is beaten on, all the kids remain safe, the dog gets away, the Mutos like eating nuclear weapons and Godilla wins in the end and swims leisurely away) but then it seems to go downhill, with the exception of "Death Valley Nights". I had this album when I first "discovered" BOC, after listening to FOUO and didn't like it. Then I bought it on CD and still didn't like it. Listened to it again when I got the boxset and was still not impressed. 

Listening now, I'm still not 100% invested in it. I will listen to this still, maybe one day I'll start to enjoy the whole album.    

Maybe it's because I have never been able to find the symbol on the front cover?

*Yes, I like "Club Ninja" more than this.

Godzilla....  Seen this performed live on at least 2 occasions by BOC.  Very cool experience each time.  I too agree with Jon though, its rough in spots and you an lose interest.  I have to wonder if they were trying to hurry the process along to capitalize on the success of Agents of Fortune.  A lot of the album does feel like an attempt at a hit single - Goin' Through The Motions most notably.

There are redeeming qualities...

• Godzilla, obviously
  • RU Ready to Rock
  • Did you notice that the opening drum and drum sound of Celestial The Queen sounds much like Do You Love Me?  At least for a couple of seconds anyway.  I like the tune also...
  • I Love The Night sounds like it would fit perfectly on Agents of Fortune. Cool tune.
  • Nosferatu

I also own the box set and its totally awesome and worth it...  The bonus tracks don't really help.    Be my baby?  really?  Couldve lived with the first 3 but that one it just ...  yuck!  This album is an anomaly in it though not a total disappointment, its more of a 50/50 experience... 

My Godzilla would kick your Godzilla's ass!

Lizard fight!

Of course he would. MY Godzilla is a smoker....

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos