Classic Rock Bottom

Artist: Geoff Tate

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Geoff Tate

Producer: Geoff Tate

RJ's Top 5 Tunes: 1. Helpless...2. Flood...3. A Passenger...4. Every Move We Make...5. Over Me

Disclaimer:  Nothing to disclaim this time.

Since Jon has lately been harping on the fact that Scott and I get our "facts" from Wikipedia, this week I'll not use it other than to check for the producer.  This won't be difficult because there is probably very little regarding this album on Wikipedia anyway.  Actually, I may be the only person who bought this album.  Anyway, this week's Album Of The Week is the self-titled solo debut from Geoff Tate.

Yes, that Geoff Tate.  The one that has been in the news so much over the last two years. This is nothing like classic Queensryche.  It's nowhere near metal of any sort.  In fact, it's extremely laid back and easy listening, at least the first two-thirds of the album.  It does get a bit heavier towards then end, and definitely sounds to me like a precursor to what the Tate-fronted Queensryche became.  It's not horrible, but it's no masterpiece either.  I'd go about 50-50 on it.  

I'm not sure why he didn't just stay metal with Queensryche and write solo albums for all of this experimental stuff he seems to have such a penchant for these days. Truth be told, this is more of a lost/forgotten album, but Jon has more of those than I have memorable albums, so I'm sure he won't mind. Lastly, if you are so inclined, you can pick up a used copy for just under 5 bucks on Amazon.

1. Flood

2. Forever

3. Helpless

4. Touch 

5. Every Move We Make

6. This Moment

7. In Other Words

8. A Passenger

9. Off The TV

10. Grain Of Faith

11. Over Me

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, I bought this album as well. And I don't think I've played it since I bought it and listened to it a few times. It is not very good at all.

I was being a bit generous with the 50-50 remark.

If you would have used wiki then you'd have known this is not very good and May gave opted to post something better.... Just sayin

He did use wiki. Of course he was just "checking" on who the "producer" was. Not that it would have been listed on the CD or anything.....

I don't get the hate for this album. It really isn't that bad. It's not a soft rock album, there's plenty of geetar™ and a majority of the songs are very listenable. I shrug my shoulders wondering what I'm missing and why I shouldn't give this album JSOA (Jon's Seal Of Approval). I'm one of the few that really likes "Dedicated To Chaos" and some parts remind of this album even though this came out 7 years earlier.

I JUST DON'T GET IT!!!

Maybe it's the hair. The shiny Breck hair. 

Obviously, Rjhog's crap is my treasure.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos