Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 209 MOTLEY CRUE - THEATRE OF PAIN (1985)

Artist: Motley Crue

Genre: Hard Rock/Heavy Metal

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Theatre Of Pain

Producer: Tom Werman

RJ's Top 5 Tunes: 1. Louder Than Hell...2. Use It Or Lose It...3. City Boy Blues...4. Keep Your Eye On The Money...5. Home Sweet Home

Disclaimer:  All "facts" still come from wikipedia.com unless otherwise noted.

I have been very indecisive over the last week about what to post this week.  I almost had a totally different album written up but decided to go with this instead.  It's Theatre Of Pain by Motley Crue.  Tidbits:

• Theatre Of Pain is Motley Crue's third studio album.
  • It reached number six on the U.S. charts.
  • The album has been certified 4 X Platinum by the RIAA.
  • Smokin' In The Boys Room (a cover) and Home Sweet Home were the only two singles released from the album.
  • The former reached number 16 and the latter reached number 89 in the U.S.
  • The original intended title of the album was Entertainment Or Death.
  • The album is dedicated to Razzle Dingley of Hanoi Rocks, who was killed in an automobile accident in which Vince Neil was arrested for manslaughter due to driving under the influence.

So what do you think of the album? For me, it's okay.  I remember liking it a lot back when it came out, especially the video for Home Sweet Home.  My mind has told me for a while that this was much more polished than the first two albums, but when I listen to it now it is closer to those two albums than what came after it.  I still think Mick Mars is underrated, while I consider Vince Neil one of the worst vocalist to ever front a rock band.  Just an opinion folks.  

One other opinion.  Raise Your Hands To Rock sounds totally out of place on this album. That song and the album closer, Fight For Your Rights, ends this album on a very weak note.

1. City Boy Blues

2. Smokin' In The Boys Room

3. Louder Than Hell

4. Keep Your Eye On The Money

5. Home Sweet Home

6. Tonight (We Need A Lover)

7. Use It Or Lose It

8. Save Our Souls

9. Raise Your Hands To Rock

10. Fight For Your Rights

Views: 592

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anyone get this reference?

Nope, but I get this one:

Niiiicee. Easily the best picture I've seen today. Now who is she? It doesn't look like Locklear? Jon's picture does, off course. But Locklear looks like a 12 year old (in her face - no pun intended)

The one I posted is Heather Thomas - she was on a TV show in the early to mid 80's for a short time and her posters sold like hot cakes and then she disappeared... 

The Fall Guy. But what does she have to do with Snotty Spew?

I didn't like this album when it came out, at least for the most part. "Smokin" sucked but the video did feature Michael Berryman which I thought was cool. I think it was after I had seen "The Hills Have Eyes" and he was a total degenerate and to see him play comedy was interesting. "Home Sweet Home" sucks, that song was played too much on MTV. Tracks 3, 4, 6 & 8 are decent even though #6 is recycled from some song off of "Shout At The Devil". Never really thought MM was a good geetar™ player, but there are some good riffs. Not sure now, but I believe one of the reasons I really didn't get into this album was due to Vince Neil and his scumbaginess. Did he ever REALLY apologize for driving drunk and killing Razzle? 15 days in jail wasn't enough. Killed a drummer, basically killed a band.  Haven't heard this album since it came out, it's not a horrible as I remembered, but not something I wanna pick up.   

It's good to hear this album again, after quite a long time since I heard it. I always liked it, but honestly, Motley Crue is just one of those bands I liked, and still do...but just don't listen that much anymore. Same with Ratt....wore some of this stuff out back in the day, but it does n't get played that much anymore.

I always thought that Tommy Lee was the only guy in the band who was a really good player. Mick Mars was a Kramer guitar endorser back then, so I always liked seeing pro's playing my preferred guitar brand. I did read once where Ted Nugent thought highly of Mick Mars and his playing, so I guess he's a much better judge of talent than I am. If Ted says Mick Mars is good, then he must be!

I got no issue with this album., I liked it then and though I like it less now, its not terrible.  Keep Your Eye On The Money was the cool deep cut I always thought, and I'm still right.

And what's the deal with no one getting the Heather Thomas reference?  Geez!  Just watch the Home Sweet Home video, and remember who Tommy Lee dated prior to Locklear. 

I could live without hearing Save Our Souls or Fight For Your Rights, but the rest works still.  I have it on vinyl and never repurchased on CD, since I have the Red, White and Crue compilation it will likely stay that way...

Nice post boss!!

Who did TL date before HL?

HT

You sure?

I've actually just read The Dirt, and I can't remember who he dated before HL. Wasn't she called "Honey"? Or was that before HT?  

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos