Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 211 DOKKEN - TOOTH AND NAIL (1984 - 30TH ANNIVERSARY)

Artist: Dokken

Genre: Hard Rock/Heavy Metal

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Tooth And Nail

Producer: Tom Werman/Roy Thomas Baker

RJ's Top 5 Songs: 1. Alone Again...2. Don't Close Your Eyes...3. Into The Fire...4. Heartless Heart...5. Just Got Lucky

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it).

This year marks thirty years since I graduated from high school (my senior class just held our thirty year reunion last weekend).  And since it's the first Friday of the month, I'll feature an album that was released thirty years ago.  It's Dokken's sophomore effort, Tooth And Nail.  Here are some nuggets:

• #49 on U.S. Chart.
  • Certified Platinum.
  • Singles: Into The Fire, Alone Again (U.S. #64) and Just Got Lucky.
  • This was Jeff Pilson's first album with the band (he replaced Juan Croucier, who left Dokken for Ratt).
  • Music videos were made for each single and the success of the album fluctuated positively with each video release.
  • Into The Fire was featured in A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors.

I think this is a fantastic album.  It still sounds great to me.  Maybe the production isn't as good as it was on the follow up, but I still dig it.  There is really only one song that doesn't work for me.  That would be the album closer, Turn On The Action.  Everything else, even the album cuts, are fantastic.  It's what pure melodic metal should be.  Great vocals and a lot of guitar.  What is your opinion?

1. Without Warning

2. Tooth And Nail

3. Just Got Lucky

4. Heartless Heart

5. Don't Close Your Eyes

6. When Heaven Comes Down

7. Into The Fire

8. Bullets To Spare

9. Alone Again

10. Turn On The Action

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a great album for me. Just spun it a few days ago at home. "Turn On The Action" has some killer guitar in it. Every song is great, and "Alone Again" is one of the best "hair ballads" ever done.

"Back For The Attack" is just as good, and was, in my opinion, the best performance from George Lynch on guitar for his entire "Dokken career". One of the better 80's bands. Much better than Motley Crue or Ratt or Great White or Twisted Sister...and I could name some more.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos