Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 212 FITZ AND THE TANTRUMS - PICKIN' UP THE PIECES (2010)

Artist: Fitz And The Tantrums

Genre: Neo Soul/Indie Pop

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Pickin' Up The Pieces

Producer: Chris Seefried/Michael Fitzpatrick

RJ's Top 5 Songs: 1. MoneyGrabber...2. Breakin' The Chains Of Love...3. Pickin' Up The Pieces...4. Dear Mr. President...5. Tighter

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it).

I'm throwin' a curve this week.  It's time for something a little different. The pick was inspired by Jon's NMC featuring the throwback band Rival Sons.  This week's Album Of The Week is Pickin' Up The Pieces by Fitz And The Tantrums.

I saw this band for the first time on Daryl Hall's TV show.  I was amazed at how much the lead vocalist Michael Fitzpatrick sounds like Daryl Hall.  I was impressed enough by that and the song MoneyGrabber to pick up this album.  It's not rock or classic rock.  It's throwback soul.  To the dismay of some (myself included), there is no guitar presence at all.  But I still like it and find the music quite cool.   By the way, the album was recorded in Fitzpatrick's living room.

Anyway, I know it's a departure from the usual, but sometimes you just need to open up your mind and try something a bit different.  

1. Breakin' The Chains Of Love

2. Dear Mr. President

3. Pickin' Up The Pieces

4. MoneyGrabber

5. L.O.V.

6. News 4 U

7. Don't Gotta Work It Out

8. Rich Girls

9. Winds Of Change 

10. Tighter

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting choice. Someone out there is wondering what the collusion will be this week. I'm sure they have colorful graphs and a Power Point presentation showing how AOTW and L/F album are similar. Oh yes, they're working really hard, probably haven't slept in days. You know they're scared. They're sweating. I'm enjoying their stress.  

C'mon man!!  Leave Niels alone...  He's a great guy!

Don't let listening to the album get in the way of the fun you guys are having....

Oh, COME ON. It's not like we've EVER failed to meet our contractual obligation. Just because we like having a bit o' fun and you can't stand fun doesn't mean you should be standing on your soapbox trying to bring all the fun loving people down. Jeez Louise, Pleeeeeeeeze!

That's what I thought you'd say.

Mr. Funless.

Time to get down to business...

No geetar (no trademark infringement) will be weird for me.  Last time I listened a geetarless (no trademark infringement) was....  uhh....   hmmmm...  I got it!  The Human League in 1984-5???  Or was it Men Without Hats and that stupid Safety Dance song...  or ... oh never mind.  Its hard I tell you!!!

I'm off track, sorry about, gotta focus on business here...

Even Billy Joel uses geetars (no trademark infringement) but they are hard hear in some of his mixes, but still its a geetar (no trademark infringement) ....

Crap!! Sorry, focus focus focus...

I like the vocal work, its very good. Some of the production feels flat though, almost bass-less in parts.  And the drum production is weak, I love a crisp clear drum sound.  These sound loose and like they were recorded in a house or something...  oh wait...  it was...

Lost my focus again, but I recovered well that time!  Getting better at this...

I can see why Daryl Hall likes these guys, they are catchy and keyboardy!  I like this, its not lost my attention half way through, but nothing really grabs me as great either.  Its just solid pop up to this point.

Hows that for focus?  Good right?

Coldplay!!  That's the other Keyboardy band that I'd heard lately where the geetar (no trademark infringement) is missing

Dang it!!!  Sorry...

The second half of the album starts to get to sounding the same.  I suppose with no geetars (no trademark infringement) theres only so much you can do.

A fine fine listen and post.  Its good to change things up and throw a curve ball every now and then ...

Oh yeah, 10 tracks?  Perfect!!!

Totally agree about the second half of the album.  It just doesn't quite keep up with the first half, although it's not bad.

By the way, you have to use three "eee"'s in order to not infringe on Jon Bon Stephenson's TM.

That is true with the geetar™ part. Lots of trademark infringement in Mr. Gabbert's post. I must contact my lawyer.

I like this. The production sounds like it was recorded in the 70's. Just imagine listening to AM radio, these songs just fit perfectly. Sometimes he sounds like DH, sometimes not. I'm just really impressed with the overall 70's vibe of the whole album. I don't understand why you just don't use ™ instead of having to type all those extra words to avoid any trademark infringement. If it's needed to be done, I can just ™ geeetar™, which I just did. Funny how they have a song titles "Rich Girls" when H&O has a song titled "Rich Girl" so I'm thinking there's some sort of (gasp) collusion going on there. 

Much as it pains me to say so, this was a might fine post.

Now it makes me want to post something "a bit different" next week. Just you wait and see......

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos