Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 218 ACE FREHLEY - TROUBLE WALKIN' (1989)

Artist: Ace Frehley

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes (Kiss)

Album: Trouble Walkin'

Producer: Eddie Kramer/Ace Frehley/John Regan

Running Time: 44:27

RJ's Top 5 Songs: 1. Do Ya...2. Shot Full Of Rock...3. 2 Young 2 Die...4. Hide Your Heart...5. Trouble Walkin'

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

Ace Frehley, aka The Spaceman, has a new album out this week (Space Invader).  In honor of the original Kiss guitarist, this week I present his 1989 solo album Trouble Walkin'.  Here are some tidbits regarding the album:

• Trouble Walkin' is Ace's third or fourth solo album, depending on how you look at it.  I count his 1978 solo album while in Kiss, so for me it's his fourth.
  • It reached a measly #102 on the Billboard chart.
  • One single was released, the ELO cover (Do Ya), which failed to chart.
  • This is Ace's first post-Kiss solo album to not use the name Frehley's Comet.
  • Hide Your Heart is a cover of a song co-written by Paul Stanley, which also appeared on the Kiss album Hot In The Shade.
  • Vocals for 2 Young 2 Die were performed by Richie Scarlett.
  • The album was reissued by Rock Candy earlier in 2014.

Personally, I think Ace was really firing on all cylinders here.  Yeah, there are a couple of forgettable tracks (I'm thinking Lost In Limbo and Back To School).  But this group of songs has a good energy.  Ace's playing is terrific and his voice was never better.  I've always loved Ace's work, but to be honest, I've never considered him well suited to carry a full album as a front man.  I prefer him as a contributing vocalist and a guitarist with two or three really strong songs per album.  But, in his defense, he pulls it off well here.

On a side note, I'm not sure what's up with Remember Me.  My CD has a live version, but I'm not sure if that's how the album was originally released or if it's one of those things where it was re-released with a live version in place of a studio version (I'm thinking the first Kiss album and how the cassette I had contained the live version of Nothin' To Lose instead of the studio version).  Maybe someone with a deeper knowledge of his work will read this and can shed some light on it.  It just seems out of place to me.

1. Shot Full Of Rock

2. Do Ya

3. Five Card Stud

4. Hide Your Heart

5. Lost In Limbo

6. Trouble Walkin'

7. 2 Young 2 Die

8. Back To School

9. Remember Me

10. Fractured III

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a slight bit early this week, I'll be packing up and moving for the next couple of days.  Should be able to find enough time this weekend to post NMC.

Hopefully you'll still be staying in GA.

Yep, not moving anywhere near you.  But I've got a surprise coming your way real soon.

Whew.

A surprise? For me?

More Kiss?

Yep.  Don't act like you didn't see my ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.  You too Scott.

I seen it, just haven't had a chance to respond...  I will though

Is he singing on "Do Ya" or is he just spitting out the words? He even name-drops HIMSELF in the song? And you wonder why it didn't chart?

"Hide Your Heart" sucked on that Kiss album and it sucks here, but not as much. Less suckage.

I've heard the title track somewhere, could have been played on the radio. 

Song #7 is a bit stoopid, can't really tell that it's someone else singing.

As I have said before, I'm not much of a lyric guy, but the lyrics throughout this album are pretty basic and silly. Maybe he should do an all instrumental album. Not that I would care.  

The rest of the album isn't bad at all. I actually have his Kiss solo album and used to have the first Frehley's Comet album. I came very, very close to picking up his new one, but a sane head prevailed.

Decent listen, nice geetar™ throughout but not something I'm going to run out and pick up. Ever.

Never heard this one before. Glad I listened. Some outstanding lead guitar on this bad boy. Vocals are weak, but that is expected from Ace. I actually got his brand new release this weekend, and listened to it once so far. Same as this disc...some outstanding guitar, and it's good enough to just ignore the vocals, and just enjoy the shredding. Ace has definitely continued to improve his playing as he has aged. Good stuff.

I never was a kiss fan (did buy the first album). I did think that Ace was the more talented mamber of early Kiss. Honestly, the album doesn't do much for me. but his guitar work is much better then the Kiss days I think.

I like the cover tune Ace always picks for his album.  Do Ya was a great choice for him, perfect riff, and uncomplicated vocal.  My favorite is Fox On The Run from Anomaly though. 

I have to agree with everyone, great tunes and geeeeeetar work, but the vocals are just OK.  But you know that before listening and you know his lyrics are simple and predictable.  So its not a valid argument to not like this because of that.  If your a fan, your a fan because of his persona and his geeeeetar work - the dude can write a good riff and play a great solo!  Face it, this is exactly what you'd expect from Ace, and so are all hi others...

So fans love it, casual fans don't mind it and Kiss haters will hate it.  I once was major Kiss fan before they became a brand, so some of the sheen has been removed for me, but Ace?  He on the otherhand is, was and will always be the Spaceman and my favorite - so I love it...

DOWN WITH THE BRAND !!!  And Tommy and Eric should not be wearing that makeup.  At least Eric C and Vinnie V came up with their own.

Nice post boss!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos