Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 222 GREAT WHITE - ONCE BITTEN... (1987)

Artist: Great White

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Once Bitten...

Producer: Alan Niven/Mark Kendall/Michael Lardie

Release Date: July 1987

Running Time: 46:32

RJ's Top 5 Songs: 1. Save Your Love...2. Rock Me...3. Lady Red Light...4. On The Edge...5. Fast Road

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

This week I have an album by a band that is no stranger to controversy, that's putting it mildly.  It's Once Bitten... by Great White.  We all are aware of the controversy I'm referring to, but before that happened, there was this.  A pretty good blues based rock album.  Here are a few nuggets:

• This is Great White's third studio album.
  • In 1987, it reached #23 on the Billboard 200 chart.
  • Once Bitten... is certified Double Platinum in the U.S.
  • It spawned two mediocre hits (Rock Me # 60 and Save Your Love # 57).
  • The videos for these were in pretty heavy rotation on MTV from what I remember.
  • Lady Red Light was featured in the television series Parks And Recreation (the episode was Tom's Divorce).

So what do you think of the album?  For me, I've always liked Jack Russell's vocals.  The guitars and bass are well played with the drumming being nothing special.  Some of the songs are very well written.  Save Your Love is easily my favorite Great White track.  There's only one filler track on the album for me and that's Gonna Getcha.  It's just bad. But everything else is listenable at the least. 

As far as availability goes, you can pick up a remastered copy from Amazon for just under 8 bucks brand new, or about 6 bucks used.

1. Lady Red Light

2. Gonna Getcha

3. Rock Me

4. All Over Now

5. Mistreater

6. Never Change Heart

7. Fast Road

8. On The Edge

9. Save Your Love

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like this album a lot, though my favorite Great White CD is probably Can't Get There From Here.

As for the controversy, I knew at least 1 person who died in the fire personally as well as listened to a radio DJ who didn't make it out as well. But that doesn't take away my enjoyment of the band's music.

I like the two "hits" from the disc, but I rather enjoy "Lady Red Light", "All Over Now", "Mistreater" and "Never Change Heart" too.

This was another album that I hated. Why, you ask?

I'll tell ya!

I hated it because it was too long for a T90 cassette. So, I would have to take one song and put it on the other side and then try to find an album to fit into the remaining time. I never did. Sure, I could have bought a T120 cassette, but those had a tendency to break and/or drag.

Other than that, it's not a bad album, I still have it on vinyl (I think). The album cover is pretty bad, though. Not a lot of thought went into that at all. Model, water, fin. Done!

Still like "Rock Me" even though it was played A LOT. One of those songs I nver really got tired of.

Nice post.

Never heard this full album , just the radio cuts.  But even when it was playing on radio it was just OK. 

But you know this is pretty good!  Its not what I expected at all..  The riffs are real good and this may be something I pick up sometime...

Nice post boss!!

PS:  Jon, everyone who loved their music knew to trust only Maxell UDXL II 90 - the best cassette tape you could buy!!

My poppa got free boxes of metal tapes all the time, they were really good and expensive as hell.

But, when I moved out, I had to watch pennies so bought whatever was on sale. Still, this album would not have fit on one side of a 90 min cassette, so what's your point?????????????????????????????????

Your home made mix tapes didn't sound good....

My home made ones were fine. It was the ones that were made outside of home that maybe weren't. But I still have 'em. Do you? Huh?

I actually have a box of them packed up somewhere in storage, but that's only a small sampling of what I actually recorded, which had to be nearing the thousands....  I actually had a mix tape series I made called Good Shit #xxx ... Made them throughout high school and for some time after. They were actually pretty popular and I had requests to make them from time to time.

Why was I expecting to here Once Bitten on this and why is it not on here?

Because they never recorded a song titled "Once Bitten"? Could that be it? You think?

But here, you can listen to this:

ewwww

Please excuse my ignorance, I've just quadrupled by Great White knowledge with this one listen...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos