Artist: INXS

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: Australia

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Kick

Producer: Chris Thomas

Release Date: October 19, 1987

Running Time: 39:54

RJ's Top 5 Songs: 1. Never Tear Us Apart...2. Devil Inside...3. Need You Tonight...4. New Sensation...5. Guns In The Sky

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

This week I'm featuring a band that has never made an appearance in the Album Of The Week forum.  It's INXS and it's their smash album from 1987 (that's two straight weeks of 1987 for those of you keeping score).  Here are some nuggets:

• Kick is the sixth studio album by INXS.
  • It was a number 3 album in the U.S. (number 1 in Australia).
  • It is certified 6 times Platinum by the RIAA.
  • Kick is the band's best selling album.
  • Six singles total were released, four in the U.S. (Need You Tonight #1, Devil Inside #2, New Sensation #3 and Never Tear Us Apart #7).

I'll be honest, I'm not the band's biggest fan but I do like some of their music.  Mostly the hits, but I do remember Scott featuring them in SHT and I believe I liked what I heard.  I have one blaring memory of this album.  Back in the day, when MTV was cool, I remember Downtown Julie Brown saying how great the beat of this song was.  That's it, that's all I remember.

As far as how I feel about the album, I think it's pretty good.  They obviously got the singles right, because those are the best songs overall.  I do however like Mediate and Tiny Daggers.  Let's face it, this was a pop album.  And back in 1987, I still liked pop music.  It's not a hard album to listen to at all in my opinion.  What do you think of it?

1. Guns In The Sky

2. New Sensation

3. Devil Inside

4. Need You Tonight

5. Mediate

6. The Loved One

7. Wild Life

8. Never Tear Us Apart

9. Mystify

10. Calling All Nations

11. Tiny Daggers

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ya know, I got this album before it really hit big and then I got tired of it because a lot of the songs were played over and over again. I have the CD, haven't listened to it in years, so this was kinda a "new" listen and it's not as annoying as back then. Solid album from top to bottom, but I still like "Listen Like Thieves" better, had more of an edge to it. I actually had to look and see if I actually did own the CD, and I do so I'm good. This actually made me purchase the "Listen Like Thieves" remaster, so I guess you're good for something after all.  

I must agree with Jon, Listen Like Thieves is better, but Shabooh Shoobah is best.  None of this is a bad thing because this album is great! SO what does that say for the aforementioned better releases?  Buy them!

Guns In The Sky is a fun opener, but its just too short!  But it does give way to the cool geetar of New Sensation.  I still dig that riff and the tune has never felt over played.  Devil Inside and Need You Tonight continue the hit parade, but they also sound great still! 

Still love Mediate and the video always comes to mind when I hear it.  Cool homage to Dylan.  Too short again!

The Loved One is a cool geetar riff, not sure the chorus works well, but hey, its not a buzzkill!  Wild Life is the cure for mid tune lull, this song has a cool feel.

Never Tear Us Apart, this is the one I thought was overplayed, but I still like it.  Mystify is awesome and then the cool retro feel of Kick (which is not listed as a track in your post, but calling that out would be nit picking)

The album closers are nice as well.  They are fun up beat tunes.  This was a great listen and great reminder of how cool this band was. I mean is!!

Nice work boss!!

I liked the hits from the album when they came out.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos