Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 225 RICHIE KOTZEN - INTO THE BLACK (2006)

Artist: Richie Kotzen

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Into The Black

Producer: Richie Kotzen

Release Date: December 12, 2006

Running Time: 44:36

RJ's Top 5 Songs: 1. You Can't Save Me...2. Misunderstood...3. Fear...4. Doin' What The Devil Says To Do...5. Till You Put Me Down

RJ's Favorite Lyric: "My mind tricked my mind, and my soul sold my soul, my heart broke my heart and I'm wasted, I'm wasted through my fear" - Fear

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

This week's Album Of The Week is Richie Kotzen's twelfth solo studio album Into The Black.  Richie has not been that well known in the rock world until some of his more recent work, and that includes me.  I wasn't familiar with him at all until I purchased this album.  All I knew of him was that he spent a very short time with Poison.  But he is making himself more of a household name with his tremendous work in The Winery Dogs supergroup.  Personally, I really like this solo album (at this point it's the only one I own).   He's a terrific guitar player and vocalist, and you'll notice this album is full of fairly slow burners that ebb and flow and some nice, bluesy playing.  No real fast rockers here. And by the way, in the true sense of a solo album, Richie plays all instruments. 

It is his only album that carries a parental advisory sticker, and you will know why immediately when the first chorus kicks in. Now, I'm not one that digs useless profanity, but I totally love the opening track.  It's an angry song, and if you ask me, the profanity is well placed.  I picked my favorite five tracks above, but I like every song on this album.

No nuggets this week, just a nice album to listen to.

1. You Can't Save Me (NSFW or children or preachers, wear ear phones)

2. Misunderstood

3. Fear

4. The Shadow

5. Doin' What The Devil Says To Do

6. Till You Put Me Down

7. Sacred Ground

8. Your Lies

9. Livin' In Bliss

10. My Angel

Views: 186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great choice for an album of the week!

Thanks TR.

Enjoyed listening to this. Very talented musician. Great guitar work here, and the vocals are pretty good for me. But, it was a little more mellow than I expected, and after one listen, I'm not moved to purchase. I do plan to listen again, and it might grow on me more.

It's kind of like the Winery Dogs release. I was so pumped about that supergroup, but after listening to the 5 tracks posted in the NMC many, many times, I just could n't get into it enough to buy. But still, enjoyed hearing this, and I'll be back to hear it again sometime.

Wow, I thought Winery Dogs was fantastic, start to finish (although it did take 2-3-4 listens before it really worked for me).  

You have said before you really dig it. I'd like to hear the whole thing at some point. The whole release is not part of the CRB library yet, is it?

Nah.

It's not bad, but there's really nothing that reaches out and grabs me. It seems like I've heard this before, not this particular album, but this exact style. Sorry to say, but this is nice background music while you're working on something but, unlike a lot of other albums, there shuld be a song or two (or three, or four, etc.) that makes you stop for a minute and REALLY listen. He's a good geetarist™ and his voice isn't bad, but it's just too rote, too there.  

Gotta echo what has been said already.  Way more mellow than what was expected.  Maybe this fits better in the Lost Forgotten category than AOTW.  Not a criticism, just feels that way to me.

Not a fan of the production, could be better, but no one would argue with his musicianship, quite solid!

Sorry didn't mean to cut this response short, but didn't know what else to add to it.  Have to side with Jon on this one.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos