Artist: Thornley

Genre: Post Grunge/Hard Rock

Country Of Origin: Canada

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Come Again

Producer: Gavin Brown

Release Date: May 11, 2004

Running Time: 45:27

RJ's Top 5 Songs: 1. The Going Rate (My Fix)...2. Easy Comes...3. So Far So Good...4. Keeps A Good Man Down...5. All Comes Out In The Wash

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

Alright, so last week we had an AOTW that featured a Chris Cornell sound-alike.  I'm back with another one this week.  It's Come Again by Thornley.  Thornley is a band that was created in 2002 after the breakup of Big Wreck, the former band of front man Ian Thornley.  Somewhere around 2010 Thornley the band once again became Big Wreck. This interests me because I totally dig this year's Ghosts by Big Wreck.  

So what do you have here.  You have great vocals.  Yes, he sounds like Chris Cornell and he's every bit the vocalist that Cornell is.  You have cool melodies.  They aren't always your run of the mill, radio friendly melodies, but they are quite good.

What's missing?  In my opinion, lead guitar.  The lead guitar on this year's Big Wreck album is incredible.  But it's nowhere to be found here.  Not sure why.  Anybody else know?  Probably just a product of the times.

Anyway, it's a cool album, so give it a listen and let me know what you think.  By the way, Scott made a great point last week that I totally agree with.  As with last week's album, this one may be more suited for Jon's Lost/Forgotten Album of the Week forum, but it's still an album, and that's all it has to be to appear here.

1. Falling To Pieces

2. Come Again

3. So Far So Good

4. The Going Rate (My Fix)

5. Keeps A Good Man Down

6. Easy Comes

7. Beautiful

8. Bright Side

9. Clever

10. Found Another Way

11. All Comes Out In The Wash

12. The Lies That I Believe

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't know what you listened to, but there's plenty of geetar™  here. The problem is that it sounds the same on most every song.

The same can be said with the songs. It started of pretty good and then just started to sound the same. It ended pretty well with the last song which is kinda killer. 

If you've listened to early Big Wreck, you won't be surprised at this. Decent listen, but nothing I'll revisit anytime soon, but that last song...........

I guess I'll have to revisit this eventually. Found it at the Salvation Army for .50! Also got the "Flashdance" soundtrack and "Freakshow" from the Bulletboys, for a grand total of $1.59! What a deal! 

You wasted $1.09

++ My first thought in hearing the opening track - Falling To Pieces - was, Oh No, here we go again with the fuzzy geetar©™ and megaphone vocal.  But for an unknown reason the song kind of pulled itself together and became not too bad!  I like the vocal and bits of melodicness as the chorus played.  Still, the fuzzy geetar©™ and megaphone vocal was not needed.

+ Come Again, here again cool melody in the chorus but its muted by it repetitiveness and the grunginess of the rest of it.  I hear the Cornell similarities and that’s a good thing.

- So Far So Good.  Agree, the start of this was good, especially the vocal.  Still not sure how to feel about all the fuzzy geetar©™ riffs.  Kinda got lost in this one, it seemed to drift.

+ The Going Rate (My Fix) – But I’m back now and this one I like!  This band seems to be either really good at the song or the chorus but not both at the same time.  I love the vocal hear, the chorus?  Not-so-much.

- Keep A Good Man Down.  I’m beginning to see Jon’s point.  The promise of the 4 tracks are starting to melt into one similar song after another.  I did like this one for some reason, maybe that’s because it’s starting to sound the same?

+ Easy Comes.  Ah…  I like this one.  They’re back?  Until the chorus, but the rest?  Really very good!

++ Beautiful.  Feels like this is a complete song, vocal and chorus and nice slow song too!

++ Bright Side. Maybe it’s the mood I’m in, but these mid-tempo to slow tunes seem to work better on this release.  Could’ve lived with that bridge though, that seemed to take away from an otherwise nice listening experience.

-- Clever.  Well, here we are at the first mid-tempo track I didn’t care for.  Nothing worked on this for me, too cliché, too grungy, too predictable…  Filler?

-- Found Another Way.  Filler #2.  No other way to say it

+ All Comes Out In The Wash.   Much better, I was “this close” to skipping through what seemed to be filler to finish the album, but I like this one.  Still it suffers the same fate as earlier tracks meaning the chorus fails and the rest works.  Still not a bad listen

- The Lies That I Believe.  I can see why Jon like this, but I can’t see why I would.  It’s true to his style preference, and anti-mine.  Although there was a geetar©™ solo for the first time on the disc!  Where oh where have those gone? 

Not a bad listen, was definitely worth the time but also not something I would seek to hear again

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos