Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 231 LOVERBOY - LOVIN' EVERY MINUTE OF IT (1985)

Artist: Loverboy

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: Canada

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Lovin' Every Minute Of It

Producer: Tom Allom

Release Date: August 1985

Running Time: 38:19

RJ's Top 5 Songs: 1.  Steal The Thunder...2. Destination Heartbreak...3. Lovin' Every Minute Of It...4. Bullet In The Chamber...5. Dangerous

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

A long-time good friend of mine just celebrated his 48th birthday this week.  So this week's Album Of The Week is dedicated to him, Scott Bedgood.  It's Loverboy's 1985 release Lovin' Every Minute Of It.  First, a few nuggets:

• Lovin' Every Minute Of It reached number 13 on the U.S. charts and number 22 on the Canadian charts.
  • It is certified Double Platinum by the RIAA.
  • The album contained two U.S. Top 10 hits (Lovin' Every Minute Of It - #9 and This Could Be The Night - #10).
  • Dangerous and Lead A Double Life both scored in the mid 60's on the U.S. charts.
  • Videos were shot for each of those singles except for Lead A Double Life.
  • This was the band's last Platinum album (the follow up did hit Gold).
  • Jamie St. James and Tommy Thayer from Black 'n' Blue performed some backing vocals on the album.

I like this album.  It's not my favorite Loverboy album (that would be Get Lucky), but it stands alone at number two.  It has plenty of quick tempo rockers as well as the mid-80's obligatory sappy ballad (This Could Be The Night).  It also has an underrated ballad in Destination Heartbreak.  And don't forget the synthesizer heavy new wave Lead A Double Life.

How 'bout you?  Do you own this one?  Opinions welcomed here.

1. Lovin' Every Minute Of It

2. Steal The Thunder

3. Friday Night

4. This Could Be The Night

5. Too Much Too Soon

6. Lead A Double Life

7. Dangerous

8. Destination Heartbreak

9. Bullet In The Chamber

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After their debut album, which is their best, I ran out and bought Loverboy's next 2 albums almost immediately after they were released and for sure before Jon got them.  This one, I don't recall being very excited about and I cant remember why.  I own it on vinyl but if memory serves me correctly (and it usually does) it was long after its release and may have even been a "Nice Price" deal...

Will be interesting to hear this again....

This album reminds me of "Agent Provocateur" by Foreigner. Why? 

Seriously.

Are you asking my why?

Or do you just me to tell you?

Fine. I'll tell you.

The first song and the last song on both sides of the LP were rockers. Check it out if you don't believe me!

I most definitely had this on cassette before Scott and did play it a lot, especially the rockers. Then I lost the cassette (I think) and didn't listen to it again until I got the remastered version a few years ago. Hearing it then brought back memories of listening to this on a Walkman, or maybe it was a cheaper version of a Walkman. Don't know if I still had the 10 lb Walkman when this came out.

Gotta say I'm shocked (not) that somehow a Kiss reference gets thrown in. Does it or will it ever stop? There were other backup singers on the album, but the only two listed were those that were related to Kiss in some way. Kinda sad and desperate, if you ask me.

So, this is a pretty good album, not my favorite Loverboy album, that would go to "Get Lucky". It's probably my third favorite, behind something else.

Their debut is their best, followed by Get Lucky and then Keep It Up... 

This one is just OK, I think at this point it feels, and still does, uninspired and cookie cutter.  The edgy feel of The Kid Is Hot Tonite and Lucky Ones has been lost in the hit making machine they became.  The grinding beat of Steal The Thumder gets lost in a already been done riff and chorus.  Friday Night sounds like a throw away of It's Your Life that was reworked.  Maybe its just me but this one doesn't hold up ....

Jon does make a good point however (Man that was hard to type) - those two side ending tracks are the best ones here.

Nice work boss!  Im sure this had some great sentimental value for you and the gang back in the day...  But this one came out after High School for me and it never had that kind of appeal in my circle...

They were ok, but never could get into Loverboy that much. Paul Dean did use, at least back then, the fantastic Kramer guitars.

We agree!  Therefore Jon is wrong...

So, you never could get into Loverboy that much as well. Interesting.

Love their first 3, so yes I love the band.  just not this album.

That's not what you agreed on.

Technicality Schmechnicality... 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)