Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 235 MOLLY HATCHET - MOLLY HATCHET (1978)

Artist: Molly Hatchet

Genre: Southern Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Molly Hatchet

Producer: Tom Werman

Release Date: August 1978

Running Time: 37:15

RJ's Top 3 Songs: 1. Dreams I'll Never See...2. The Price You Pay...3. The Creeper

RIAA Certification: Platinum

Billboard Pop Albums Charting: #64

Singles: Unknown

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

Let's enjoy some Southern Rock this week.  Your Album of the Week is the self-titled debut of Molly Hatchet.  I've really only got two comments on this album. The first is that this album has one of the all-time great album covers.  Menacing and beautiful, all at the same time.  The second is that the cover of The Allman Brothers track Dreams is just totally cool.  I'm not really sure why they changed the name though.

I guess I have one more thing to say.  I don't think the album is great, other than those two things, but I do think it's a worthy listen.  I dished out $4.99 for it on Amazon.  

"What about you?  Do you own it?  Vinyl or CD or both?  What is your opinion of it?  

1. Bounty Hunter

2. Gator Country

3. Big Apple

4. The Creeper

5. The Price You Pay

6. Dreams I'll Never See

7. I'll Be Running

8. Cheatin' Woman

9. Trust Your Old Friend

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Own it and think its great!  Top to bottom as good as, if not better than, Flirtin' With Disaster.  However, I may have bias since it was played extremely often in my circle of friends starting with me of course. 

• The album kicks off with a great southern riff and story to tell.  Bounty Hunter introduces you the killer 3 geetar attack, scratch that, assault that you will hear going forward.  The only issue I have with the opening track is it too short!
  • Gator Country simply continues the geetar attack and at 6:17 its the perfect showcase and length for this band to go after it!  Just a great back beat and rhythm.  Danny Joe Brown is a solid Southern Rock vocalist.  Second only to Ronnie himself.  How can you not like this geetar work?
  • Big Apple.  A funky little back beat and overall fun track.
  • The Creeper slows it down a bit but what do expect from a track named The Creeper?  Still a cool tune!
  • The Price You Pay closes side 1 (for you vinyl nuts).  And its a mid tempo southern rock classic IMO.  This time its the harmonica that interacts with geetars!
  • Dreams I'll Never See.  Does this even need a comment?  One of the greatest southern rock tunes in the history of southern rock!
  • The quirky riff of  I'll Be Running grows on you, mostly because its the track that follow Dreams.  You know the kind of track I'm talking about to.  It a cool tune because its the second most played song on the album simply because it follows the best track on the album and it grows on you.  The harmonica and geetar interplay is cool too!!  Maybe not the best tune on the album, but the band doesn't let up, the geetar work is killer!
  • Finally a little distortion on the riffage!  Probably a little angrier because its a bout a Cheatin Woman.
  • After the Cheatin Woman we find out that he still trusts his old friend!  And the tune sounds like a bit of a celebration about it.  More fun geetars and what a better way to close this album out than with 3 geetars going at it!

Can't for the life of me understand how anyone could not think this was great? 

Only one complaint.  This 3 album needs a serious remastering treatment and/or deluxe edition treatment.

This is an awesome album, anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. And even though it's awesome, it's not my favorite Hatchet album. I still think the followup is a better album, as well as "No Guts...No Glory", but this is one hell of a debut on top of being one hell of an album. 

I also wonder why this hasn't been remastered. Albums 2, 3 & have been, "No Guts..." hasn't, yet the followup up to that has been. All were released by Epic, so it's annoyingly odd. 

Great pick this week.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos