Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #236 BLACK SABBATH - HEAVEN AND HELL (1980 - 35TH ANNIVERSARY)

Artist: Black Sabbath

Genre: Rock/Metal

Country Of Origin: England

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: Heaven and Hell

Producer: Martin Birch

Release Date: April 25, 1980

Running Time: 39:46

RJ's Top 3 Songs: 1. Heaven and Hell...2. Neon Knights...3. Children of the Sea

RIAA Certification: Platinum

Billboard 200 Charting: #28

Singles: Neon Knights (#22 UK)/Children of the Sea (Did not chart)/Die Young (#41 UK)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

After a well-deserved week off, it's back to the grindstone.  Because it's the first weekend of the month, we kick off 2014 with an anniversary album.  It's Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath.  

This album came out in 1980, and Black Sabbath was not on my radar back then.  I was listening to Kiss (yes I know, while bands like Black Sabbath and AC/DC were putting out hard rock masterpieces like Heaven and Hell and Hells Bells, Kiss was putting out a sweet little pop record called Unmasked), Styx, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner and Van Halen.  I had no idea who Ronnie James Dio was or that he had replaced Ozzy in Black Sabbath.

But that was then, this is now.  I'm a bit more musically educated now and I have a much better appreciation of an album like this.  And my opinion is that side one is a fine slab of hard rocking vinyl.  Four great songs comprise side one.  And side two, while not bad at all, just doesn't hold up to side one for me.  Just an opinion. Iommi's soloing is a treat to listen to on this album, and the rhythm section is very steady.  

That's my opinion, what is your opinion? Do you own the album? Were you into the band back in 1980?  What did you think of RJD replacing Ozzy? Talk to me.

Side One:

1. Neon Knights

2. Children of the Sea

3. Lady Evil

4. Heaven and Hell

Side Two:

5. Wishing Well

6. Die Young

7. Walk Away

8. Lonely Is the Word

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My brother had a little bit of the Ozzy led Black Sabbath, but I always thought they were evil and shied away from them as a kid.  Turns out they were evil!  But...  In 1980 I was just entering High School and making new friends.  One of which played the snot out of this, and I'm glad he did. 

Though I've come to have a better understanding of Ozzy's Black Sabbath and therefore have an appreciation of their music, it was Dio's music, versus the fantasy, medieval undertones that drove me to this.  Its easily my favorite Black Sabbath album...

Too bad you're kicking off 2014 with this album since that's, well, so 2014. 

hahaha, good catch!

This was my first Sabbath-album. I got it in early '81. For many years, my favorite version of Sabbath was the Dio-version, but not anymore. The first 5-6 albums are THE classic Sabbath-albums. This one and "Mob Rules" are great albums, but a bit dated, and certainly overplayed by me.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm not much of a fan of this album. Other than "Neon Knights" and "Heaven And Hell", there's nothing that has stuck in my memory. You're right about side two, but you're not right about being "more musically educated now". There's some fine moments scattered throughout, I like the solo in "Lonely Is The Word", but after I'm done listening, I'll completely forget about it. 

I have always felt that "Mob Rules" is the superior album, but a lot of people disagree. Maybe it's because, out of H&H and MR, MR was the first Dio/Sabbath album I bought. Maybe it was because of "Heavy Metal". Maybe I really am right and most other people are wrong. The thing is, MR is stuck in my head, while this album is just "there".

That's my opinion.

Yes, I own this album.

Yes, I guess I was kinda into the band in 1980, but it was because of "Paranoid".

Didn't care or really know that Ozzy was replaced by RJD. Didn't have then internet back then.

I have answered all your questions, now I shall depart.

disagree...  this wipes Mob Rules off the floor.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos