Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 238 FOREIGNER - INSIDE INFORMATION (1987)

Artist: Foreigner

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States/Great Britain

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Inside Information

Producer: Frank Filipetti/Mick Jones

Release Date: December 8, 1987

Running Time: 44:12

RJ's Top 3 Songs: 1. Heart Turns To Stone...2. Say You Will...3. Can't Wait

RIAA Certification: Platinum

Top Billboard Chart Position: #15

Singles: I Don't Want To Live Without You (#5)/Say You Will (#6)/Heart Turns To Stone (#56)/Can't Wait (Did Not Chart) (all charting positions are from the Billboard Hot 100)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

This week we reminisce with some corporate rock and roll.  Maybe the ultimate corporate rock band, although that is extremely subjective.  Foreigner's Inside Information is the Classic Rock Bottom Album of the Week.  And thanks go out to Eric Roellchen over on the CRB Facebook page for the album suggestion. 

So what do we have with this album?  I'd say it's pretty typical Foreigner.  It's the band's sixth studio release, and I'd probably rank it about fifth if I were doing a top five.  The first four tracks are terrific.  Heart Turns To Stone has such a good hook, while Say You Will has always been a favorite of mine.   Can't Wait sneaks up on you in that sort of easy/heavy mode.  Inside Information is a period time piece.  Listen to it without knowing when it was recorded and you'll still know it's an 80's song.  And finally, The Beat Of My Heart is quite the hidden gem if you ask me.  

Gramm's voice is just superb as usual.  But he would leave the band after this album, although he would come back into the group for one more album a few years later. Personally, I think he is one of the all-time great rock vocalists.

What about you?  Do you own the album?  Which songs do you like best? Where does it rank for you?  

1. Heart Turns To Stone

2. Can't Wait

3. Say You Will

4. I Don't Want To Live Without You

5. Counting Every Minute

6. Inside Information

7. The Beat Of My Heart

8. Face To Face

9. Out Of The Blue

10. A Night To Remember

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At the time, i liked it. Now, not so much. 

It's been a while, since I last heard it, but as far, as I remember my favorite tracks were "Say You will", "I Don't Want To Live Without You", "Inside Information" and "Face To Face".

It does sound very much like November/December 1987 to me.

I guess you guys are still fans of Foreigner, Night Ranger and stuff like that ,but I've moved on from music like this, just like I don't have the hair like 220 volt Band at the photo on your right, anymore. I did, though.

I haven't moved on from music like this at all.  

I loved this in 87..  Now I'd rank it in the lower half of their catalog mostly because its a bit dated now.  Just take into account the use of the keyboards in Heart Turns to Stone and Inside Information - heck the title track is straight out of 87, the beat, the drum machine, the keyboards...

But has Foreigner ever made a terrible album?  I say no.  Outside of the radio hits, Can't Wait, and The Beat of my Heart are way good!!  Face to Face is That Was Yesterday Part II but not as good.  Out of the Blue is great and the closer, A Night To Remember, came straight out of the Agent Provocateur session (at least it sounds like it did).

And further to note is Jones ability to write a killer riff.  Just solid ...  That all said...  Inside Information ranks around 5th or 6th out of the 8 they've released... 

PS:  Killer post - two in a row now!!!

This ranks in my top 4 Foreigner albums. I don't care if it might sound dated, but there some awesome riffs throughout, plus "Can't Wait" is one of the best ever Foreigner songs. "The Beat Of My Heart" starts of nice and sweet and then just kicks ass with some seriously awesome geetar parts.  

A fine, fine album and I don't care what anyone else says. They're wrong.

And once again, I'm reminded, what Gordon said :-)

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos