Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 239 JOHN MELLENCAMP - HUMAN WHEELS (1993)

Artist: John Mellencamp

Genre: Rock/Singer Songwriter

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes (2008)

Album: Human Wheels

Producer: John Mellencamp/Malcolm Burn/David Leonard/Mike Wanchic

Release Date: September 7, 1993

Running Time: 45:17

RJ's Top 3 Songs: 1. Sweet Evening Breeze...2. What If I Came Knocking...3. Human Wheels

RIAA Certification: Platinum

Billboard Chart Position: #7

Singles:  Human Wheels #48/What If I Came Knocking DNC/When Jesus Left Birmingham DNC/Junior DNC (all charting positions are from the Billboard Hot 100)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

I have definitely been on a kick, so this week you get John Mellencamp.  An artist that I paid little attention to after Scarecrow.  I think I got this CD out of the five dollar bin at Wally World.  I've had it for a while but I had not listened to it.  Then the other night I heard the title track on the radio.  And while I've definitely heard it before, it was lost on me.  But not anymore.

This is a really good album.  Only one "filler" track if you ask me, and that is French Shoes. One of the standout tracks, other than the three I listed above, is Junior.  Just a really cool tune.  I do think the album sounds better with ear phones.  You can really hear the mixture of the acoustic and electric guitars.  Sounds pretty brilliant to me.  And, like Scarecrow, the snare work stands out for me.  

Those are my thoughts, what are yours?  Do you own the album?  Do you like it?  

1. When Jesus Left Birmingham

2. Junior

3. Human Wheels

4. Beige To Beige

5. Case 795 (The Family)

6. Suzanne and the Jewels

7. Sweet Evening Breeze

8. What If I Came Knocking

9. French Shoes

10. To The River

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My thought's are, that I got this album, when it was released in '93. It was better than the former Mellemcamp-album, even though that one was probably his "heaviest" if I remember correctly. 

IMO this is the last of the great "classic" Mellemcamp-albums, but it's been quite a while, since I've heard it, so I can't remember which tracks are my favorites.

Seems like the conversation about this album is deja-vu for us on here.  But its an album I've never heard, outside of the radio cuts.

I can't say that the opener grabs at me.  I've heard this one and still, nothing, nadda, don't care for it, sounds unfinished to me.  Junior isn't helping me feel this, I'm 0 for 2...

Human Wheels is much much better, I like this one. Though I must say his vocals sound lower and there's not much fluctuation in his performance.  Monotone if you will...  Beige to Beige to has the same vocal issues and the songs are starting melt together, too much of same ol' same ol'? This is why Lonesome Jubilee is the last great Mellencamp album for me.  And so this one goes on.

Bottom line, this is good stuff but ...  in the context of his entire catalog its as if you own anything released after Uh-Huh (which is brilliant by the way) then that's enough.  Pick a release any release...  And since I own Scarecrow and The Lonesome Jubilee, well then, that seems to cover it for me...

Nice post though!

The last album I bought from Johnny was "Scarecrow" and that was only because it was in the $5 Wally bin. Before that, I stopped at "Uh Huh". I bought "American Fool" when it came out and didn't like it, but the videos on MTV intrigues me enough to go out an buy "Uh Huh" and I really liked that album. After that I couldn't care much, there were some good songs I heard, but not enough to warrant a purchase (unless it was 20 or so years later and I found it in the $5 Wally bin, which has been gone for over a year at my local store). 

This doesn't change it at all. He sings to be singing in the same monotonous tone throughout the album, except for the last track, which is really good. The backing screeching singer needs to go though. Quite annoying.

I actually did see this in the bin, but didn't care enough to pick it up. Now I'm glad that I didn't.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos